Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

burning smell when in 4WD LOCK

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 11:33 AM
Default burning smell when in 4WD LOCK

Hey all,

Just a quick question. Do you even notice a burning smell after using 4WD LOCK? We had a run on a snowy highway and I put it into 4WD LOCK. We were going about 75km/hr for about 15-20 minutes.

I know this system can overheat (based on what it says in the manual), but I wouldn't think it should that quick...

I also smelled this once before in 4WD lock while going much slower as well.

*****A side note - Also, on a long trip, I can smell coolant. It is most noticeable right by the rad cap. None is leaking but after a 3 hr run on the highway, if I lift the hood it is somewhat noticeable Temp guage is about midway. Anyone experience these things?

Thanks!

Old 03-15-2010, 03:08 PM

I never used it that long, but it can overheat in minutes if you drift in the snow at full throttle for example. It could be the transmission due to the extra stress of sending power to the rear wheels or the rear clutch. However, since the transmission and rear diff warning lights didn't show, then it should be ok to drive.

Mine has always smelled like a mix of oil and coolant. I think almost every Mitsubishi smells like that, at least to me. I passed another Outlander in a parking lot and noticed the smell right away!

Old 03-15-2010, 04:03 PM

Haha. The Mitsu Smell.
Ewww, you stink Mitsubishi. I also smell hot coolant and oil when I get home from a 40 min drive into my garage.

Old 03-15-2010, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by ShortyRider
Haha. The Mitsu Smell.
Ewww, you stink Mitsubishi. I also smell hot coolant and oil when I get home from a 40 min drive into my garage.
LOL...so this coolant smell is normal?? Haha...ok.

"I never used it that long, but it can overheat in minutes if you drift in the snow at full throttle for example. It could be the transmission due to the extra stress of sending power to the rear wheels or the rear clutch. However, since the transmission and rear diff warning lights didn't show, then it should be ok to drive."

It did smell a bit like burning a clutch on a standard, but I'm a little concerned that it can't handle 15-20 minutes of driving...but thanks for the response!

Old 03-15-2010, 04:24 PM

Another possibility to consider is the serpentine belt may be slipping when the engine is under a heavy load. When belts slip it can cause a smell like burning rubber.

Old 03-15-2010, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by azjake
Another possibility to consider is the serpentine belt may be slipping when the engine is under a heavy load. When belts slip it can cause a smell like burning rubber.
True, but since I only have 9000km on it, hopefully that isn't the case yet

Old 03-15-2010, 07:28 PM

If it is the belt it doesn't mean the belt is bad. All it means is the belt may have to be re-tensioned. New belts can stretch out and this is something the dealer should be able to do without a lot of cost.

Old 08-07-2015, 09:19 AM

I have noticed a burning smell from the back of my car when beating on it a bit.
Thanks for the tips.

As far as coolant smell, I also had this occasionally and found it to be some leakage from where the coolant reservoir connects to the radiator at the rad cap. Solved it by putting a little clamp on it. Another one of my cars had this type of clamp from the factory so I was surprised this one did not.

Attached Thumbnails burning smell when in 4WD LOCK-clamp.jpg