Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Can fog light switch set to auto on

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 11:36 AM
Default Can fog light switch set to auto on

Hello. I have a 2017 Outlander SEL, and I noticed that unlike other manufacturers the fog light switch is different (spring loaded). Is there any way to have the fog light auto on with the headlights. I did some search on this forum already but didnt come across anything. Thanks.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by ajay62
Hello. I have a 2017 Outlander SEL, and I noticed that unlike other manufacturers the fog light switch is different (spring loaded). Is there any way to have the fog light auto on with the headlights. I did some search on this forum already but didnt come across anything. Thanks.
By regulations the fog light is not supposed to be automatic. Strictly speaking you should only use it when the weather permits it (heavy rain, snow and fog) in combination with the low beam only. This is how all the fog lights are wired by default irrespective of the brand. Some parts of the world (in EU countries for sure) the police reinforces the restricted use of the fog lights. Some manufacturers (e.g. Mini and the HID equipped Mitsubishi Outlander Sport prior to 2015 (Canadian)) use the fog light house to emit the DRL but these are using a different (weaker) bulbs. See post #8 in this thread for reference.

I am afraid there is no simple solution to your problem and it requires some finesse and exploration but it is doable in many ways:
1. I am confident that the fog lights are compatible with OS and Outlanders (2nd and 3rd gen), so you can buy (off ebay or from junk yard) dual DRL-fog lights and install them on your rig. You can have constant emission from your fog light house (day and night).
2.You can have your ETACS programmed to enable the fog lights with any light (park, low or even high beam). See discussion on this topic here . Again, you should be aware of the legality of the use of this option
3. You can wire your fog light rewire to be on all the time (same issue with legalities)
4. If your model does not have HID head lights you can enable DRL (to normal, not independent) in your ETACS if it is not done so and find the wire that delivers the DRL power (in my case it is the wire that would power the ballast for the HID equipped trim, see the attached image with a red circle identifying the connector).

That should give you 8-9 V when the lights are off (in reality this signal is modulated by a FED that fluctuates the signal with some ~100 Hz or so between 0 and 12 V giving you an average of 8-9 V) and 12 V when the lights are on.This labeled connector is a dead end in the non HID models (at least in my Canadian OS/RVR) but the wire is powered if "NORMAL DRL" is enabled. I believe if independent DRL is enabled you would have constant 12V in the wire going there but not 100% sure). If you wire your fog lights to this wire, you can have a reduced intensity emission from your fog lights even during the day and full intensity at night without the need of turning the fog light switch ever. Since the DRL has its separate relay and fuse it is absolutely safe. For added safety you can pull the fog light fuse but it is not necessary. Since in my city (Montreal) nearly everybody uses the fog lights and the police do not enforce the restricted use of the fog lights I have wired my Outlander Sport/ RVR this way to increase visibility in winter (we get average 7 feet snow in a season).