Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

can't open my trunk ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 12:27 AM
Default can't open my trunk ?

I have a question for you guys.. I have the FAST key

Whenever I drive and use the lock button on the driver door (interior) to lock all doors. After I stop and walk to the back with key in my pocket. Try to press the trunk unlock key, I cannot open it. The only way I can do it is if I double press the unlock on the remote, or go the the driver door and press the unlock key..

it makes no sense because normally after I park and lock the door, I can come back and press the button on the trunk to open it..

I have found a similar complain somewhere, it seems maybe the car treat the locking action activated via interior switch differently than the locking activated by fast key, so what happens (i think) is the fast key remember it's state (locked, unlocked), it thinks the hatch isn't locked when I locked it once from the interior, because I havn't locked it using the fast key. I suppose there are 2 solutions, but I havn't tested it yet.

1) program the car to unlock upon transmission in P, or ignition off which should neutralize any internal locking
2) press the lock button on the trunk (to the right of the unlock trunk button) using the FAST key and, then unlock it again.

Last edited by OutlanderGT; 08-19-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:52 PM

The FAST key programming is retarded. I don't have that exact issue, however, whenever my engine is running, my FOB is useless. The FAST functions don't work, the buttons don't work, nothing. So if my car is running, and I try to access the trunk with my key in my pocket, I have to walk back to the drivers door, click unlock, then return to the trunk.

Also, ever notice that your car can be driven without the key? Yup. Start your engine, exit the vehicle, and then stand in your driveway as a friend drives away. What an incredibly stupid feature! I *SHOULD* be able to leave my car running, exit my car, press the lock button, and have my vehicle secured. This would be a great feature when running in a store or to pick up carry out...

Sorry for the threadjack, but basically I am not surprised by your issues. It would not take much programming at all to accomplish these tasks, hell, the OS KNOWS it doesn't have a key in it and the dash will repeatedly say "No Key Detected", yet still let your $25k car drive off into the sunset. Stupid, IMO.

Old 08-19-2012, 04:40 PM

Yes I think all the system on the market will let your friend steal youR car if you leave it running and walk away

Well. If anyone can confirm my findings that would be great..

Old 08-25-2012, 10:33 AM

How old is the car?

Maybe a new battery in the fob could cure the problem.

The 2011 I had and my new 2012 work as they should.

I alllways use the fob to lock and unlock. My only complaint is that remote start should be available with the FAST key. I wouldn't take much to add this feature.

Last edited by milliesdad; 08-25-2012 at 10:39 AM.