Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Centre panel needs parking etc lights on to work

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 04:30 PM
Default Centre panel needs parking etc lights on to work

Radio works fine but the centre panel of my 2010 Outlander SE "only works" when at least the parking lights are ON. *Display is OFF, doesn't hold time settings, nor do any of the buttons on the panel have any effect. Panel backlight goes ON with the lights (as expected). All fuses are fine and inspection of the wiring behind the panel and radio has revealed no apparent wire damage. I don't think the panel is broken - my hunch is some wires are swapped and improperly connected at the connectors. I checked and two of the 16 pins of the plug of the wiring harness for the panel change from 0V to 12V when I turn the lights ON, two other pins** carry 12 V all the time - even when the ignition key is OFF and independent of the lights. **these could be used to supply the clock with power.

Is there a wiring diagram I can cross check before I begin experimenting with the pin connections?

Thanks!

Related issues:

https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mi...y-radio-44502/

https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mi...o-44502/page2/

Old 11-07-2017, 04:38 PM

... took out the centre panel, removed the circuit board of the hazard light assembly (HLA) and discovered that the circuit board showed some corrosion near some LEDs and capacitors. The HLA board has two removable connectors, one to connect the centre panel to "the car" (which you need to disconnect to take the centre panel out), the other to connect the HLA to the rest of the centre panel and which carried power to the clock etc when the ignition is OFF. The latter essentially is a flat wire harness. Mine was corroded as well. I wiped the corrosions with acetone using a cotton swab and got the centre panel to work intermittently. Depending on temperature the clock would hold its settings. So I went ahead and bought a used HLA (with board) on eBay. I couldn't find one that was specifically specified for my Outlander so I ordered a look-a-like (specd for a Lancer) - of course you can ask the seller to confirm. When the new HLA arrived it proved to be the same kind as my old "broken" one just bearing a different serial/model number. The installed replacement works perfectly. All is well again.

Last edited by CommonZense; 11-07-2017 at 04:42 PM. Reason: spelling