Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Change the Rockford Fosgate System ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 03:07 PM

I agree that the Rockford Fosgate sounds way better than any other OEM stereo system that I've heard. If you don't have the MMCS to get the extra setup options, then you may want to try looking into an aftermarket head unit that gives it a little more juice and will give you more tune-ability. Other than that, I would start by changing out the door speakers and tweeters, just make sure you find out what Ohms they are and match them.

If you change the head unit though, make sure you get the Axxess MITO-2 adapter from Metra to keep the RockFos amp.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:50 AM

I would also like to know what we can do to improve the sound quality if we have got the OEM RF system. I am happy the bass I hear and how loud it can be. Actually I don't play music that loud. I would however like to hear more clear and crisp sound. I am wondering what component I can change to improve the sound quality by a notch with minimum expense. I mean should I change the head unit, front speakers or the RF amp? Which is the weakest? Let's assume I add some soundproofing. I would appreciate experiences and opinions. Thank you.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:59 PM

i trade my 2008 for a 2011 and the sound from the 650 W to the 720 W and the quality is better, and no more cheap plastic rattle, i dont know if they did change something but its way better now

Old 01-16-2012, 09:44 PM

Just swap the headunit...HUGE difference. I mean a night and day difference, you will think you replaced the AMP and speakers.
The headunit is garbage (at least 6CD changer), it barely caught a few FM stations (despite replacing it) and music was not full range (cut off high/low). After I replaced it, I was getting stations I never heard before at full stereo.
The same MP3 CD I used in the old headunit sounds like I went from streaming internet radio to 320 kbps MP3.

I bought a relatively cheap AVH-P2300DVD and its a huge difference.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:18 AM

I have a small finding to add.

I figured I should try to get the best out of what I had before doing anything drastic. BTW, I have an MMCS HU that came with the Nav. I googled around for how to tune the car audio. I saw some useful articles on Crutchfield website. Apparently I had not understood how to use the equilizer before . I think now I know a wee bit better. I ended up lowering the bass by a notch and the punch by 2 notches from the middle and increasing the mid range by a notch and the treble by 2 notches from the middle. I also set the sound field and music type to "Normal" and left the fader in the middle. That gave me a clear crisp sound I wanted with reasonable bass.

I have tried a mixed bag of my favorite cds and mp3s and I am very happy with the results. The radio sound quality is not great but good enough for me. I get the FMs I usually listen and some AMs. I am happy with the HU and plan to keep it as far as the sound quality goes.

I should mention that I bought the car used and it came with MMCS. I probably wouldn't pay for it if I buy it new. I also don't need a lot of bass.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by firstorbit84
I agree that the Rockford Fosgate sounds way better than any other OEM stereo system that I've heard. If you don't have the MMCS to get the extra setup options, then you may want to try looking into an aftermarket head unit that gives it a little more juice and will give you more tune-ability. Other than that, I would start by changing out the door speakers and tweeters, just make sure you find out what Ohms they are and match them.

If you change the head unit though, make sure you get the Axxess MITO-2 adapter from Metra to keep the RockFos amp.
I am looking into getting one but not sure if I should get the MMCS one or somthing else like pioneer? Hope to hear something back since I am a few years late here lol.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:54 PM
Default Upgrade

Old 02-06-2018, 12:16 PM

I think the Fosgate in my 2017 Outlander sounds great, but I am not a crank it up shake the windows guy. When I do crank it on the occasional van halen or 39 special I think the sub sounds great & a good overall sound.

Old 02-06-2018, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by jriner
I think the Fosgate in my 2017 Outlander sounds great, but I am not a crank it up shake the windows guy. When I do crank it on the occasional van halen or 39 special I think the sub sounds great & a good overall sound.
Now do you have the navigation system or the 6 CD changer? I have the 6 CD changer and I do like the sounds but it doesn' live up to the reviews that I was reading before I got the car.

Old 02-07-2018, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Brentskii
Now do you have the navigation system or the 6 CD changer? I have the 6 CD changer and I do like the sounds but it doesn' live up to the reviews that I was reading before I got the car.
Were there favorable reviews of the sound system out there? Not disputing, just don't know. Personally, I think the Fosgate system is just ok, does the job. I'm not looking for perfect fidelity in an auto environment, but I've heard much better, mostly in higher end cars. Dynamat and quieter cabins make a big difference too in a car environment. "Muddy" is the word I'd use to describe the sound. Also, aftermarket is usually the best sound, but I'm not in this car enough to warrant it. I've heard worse, this one does the job.

Quick Reply: Change the Rockford Fosgate System ?