Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Chinese DVD / Radio / GPS Installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 04:17 AM
ash

Originally Posted by rcpax
So where do you actually get map updates for these? It doesn't have a company name on it, so does this mean you're struck with whatever software version you got? $560 is an attractive price, but hopefully you get software updates or at least be able to update your maps. Please post some reviews soon. Might get my wife one of these for her CR-V.
The unit runs Windows CE 5.00. So is capable of running almost any navigation software which will run on that platform. Mine was sent with IGO8 which looks pretty good and there's a large community out there who are producing skins and various other improvements to it.

It should also run Tom Tom amongst others. The navigation software is contained on the SD Card that goes into the slot on the left of the unit. The built in GPS Software loads first then loads up the Sat Nav Software it is directed to on the SD Card.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:47 PM
ash

One problem I have found tonight is that when the headlights go on, I lose sound from all speakers. No idea why. Don't know if anyone has any suggestions?

Old 05-12-2009, 06:27 PM

What can you do with the SD and USB slot?

You could be shorting something out, does anything happen with the screen or is it just that you lose sound? .. Also does it happen when the lights are in position two (parking light on) or position 3 (headlights on)

Old 05-13-2009, 02:56 AM
ash

Originally Posted by Alpha7
What can you do with the SD and USB slot?

You could be shorting something out, does anything happen with the screen or is it just that you lose sound? .. Also does it happen when the lights are in position two (parking light on) or position 3 (headlights on)
The SD Slot is for the GPS Software, but you could put music files on an SD Card as well. The USB slot is for a memory stick containing music or video, maybe even an Ipod if you didn't use the rear connector, but haven't tried it with one yet.

The screen stays on and everything works fine, just no sound. Sound goes off with either parking or headlights on. I will email the seller to see if he can contact the manufacturer to come up with a solution, which will hopefully be simple.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:29 PM
Default thanks

Thanks for the thread. I just discovered this alternate to to the very expensive factory unit.

I think the sound may go off when the head lights come on because of a cross or incorrect wiring in the unit from the dimming wire/signal. On the factory radio the led screen/lights dim when the head lights come on and a go bright when they are off so you can see/read it in the brighter daylight.

I'm a little concerned that the steering wheel buttons don't all work. Mine has radio and phoe buttons. Do you have steering wheel phone buttons?

I also think is sucks that I need another very expensive part for the Rockford Fosgate interface. It might be worth just shopping the factory GPS radio.

How fast is the GPS? Does it compute fast and tell you to turn way in advace? I've seen some GPS that tell you to turn when your passing the turn. That sucks. How fast it for loading when you turn it on or start the car. Do you have to wait awhile before you can start using the GPS and get going? Keep us informed on how it works. Thanks.

Old 05-16-2009, 04:34 AM
ash

Originally Posted by traveler31m
Thanks for the thread. I just discovered this alternate to to the very expensive factory unit.

I think the sound may go off when the head lights come on because of a cross or incorrect wiring in the unit from the dimming wire/signal. On the factory radio the led screen/lights dim when the head lights come on and a go bright when they are off so you can see/read it in the brighter daylight.

I'm a little concerned that the steering wheel buttons don't all work. Mine has radio and phoe buttons. Do you have steering wheel phone buttons?

I also think is sucks that I need another very expensive part for the Rockford Fosgate interface. It might be worth just shopping the factory GPS radio.

How fast is the GPS? Does it compute fast and tell you to turn way in advace? I've seen some GPS that tell you to turn when your passing the turn. That sucks. How fast it for loading when you turn it on or start the car. Do you have to wait awhile before you can start using the GPS and get going? Keep us informed on how it works. Thanks.
There are a couple of spare wires that have labels on them that indicate they may have something to do with the stearing wheel control, but not sure.

Still waiting for a reply from the seller about the volume going off when the headlights.

The GPS works very well. The one I was supplied with is IGO8. The unit picks up the satelittes pretty quickly even though the reciever is sitting onto of the unit under a few layers of dashboard plastic.

The software tells you about the next turn straight after the last turn and then two times well before the next turn, so that works very well. There is a community out there skinning the IGO8 software and adding extras to it have a look at www.gpsunderground.com for more info.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:57 PM
Default headlighs Ala Audio

Originally Posted by ash
One problem I have found tonight is that when the headlights go on, I lose sound from all speakers. No idea why. Don't know if anyone has any suggestions?
Hi Am am Oskaramerica (The seller of this) We are working with the factory to get this Weird problem solved. I have a hard time imagining how the headlights could be interacting with anything with the radio but I guess with auto / electronics wiring , stranger things have happened. Possibly the simplest solution will be to isolate the headlights.

Our engineers are working on the problem and just to mention, this is the only one that this has come up with.

I want to hear more about your steering wheel controls.

Which are working and which are not? have you installed all of the SW Wiring?

Oskar

Old 05-16-2009, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by rcpax
So where do you actually get map updates for these? It doesn't have a company name on it, so does this mean you're struck with whatever software version you got? $560 is an attractive price, but hopefully you get software updates or at least be able to update your maps. Please post some reviews soon. Might get my wife one of these for her CR-V.

The Maps are not Upgradable as they are the "C" word.
But you can Modify Skins, Add POI's and Speed Cams and other goodies like buildings and 3D . The IGO8 is fantastic to work with. they do not expire and there is always a place to find the goodies and newest maps.

Old 05-16-2009, 04:29 PM
ash

Originally Posted by OSKARAMERICA

Which are working and which are not? have you installed all of the SW Wiring?

Oskar
The only control on the steering wheel that works is the one that is used to move the tuning frequency up. The volume controls don't work and the mode button and frequency down doesn't work.

I have only plugged in the harness there are a few bare spare wires that I haven't connected, but as the the unit came with no installation instruction, just a user manual, I really don't want to start messing with wires and possibly doing damage to the car.

Don't get me wrong I think the unit is brilliant and really good value for money, just a few minor problems.

I have already skinned the sat nav and put on maps and points of interest that cover the area I live.

Last edited by ash; 05-16-2009 at 04:36 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 02:08 AM
Default find wiring diagrams

Are the loose/extra wires from the radio or form the vehical's harness? You can look for wiring harness wire detail/color/description on the internet. Let us know what they turn out to be.

OSKARAMERICA: Is this radio already set up to work with the Rockford Fosgate Amplifier system or do I have to purchase Metera's Axxess MITO-02? Does this radio interface with the MITO-02? Willl this radio interface with the vehical's bluetooth using the MITO-02?

The MITO-02 is designed to be used in vehicles listed in
the applications that have the Rockford Fosgate audio system.
The Rockford Fosgate system uses a digital signal to
turn on the amplifier. The MITO-02 supplies that digital signal
to turn the amplifier on. When installing a radio that has
navigation built in, the MITO-02 can supply VSS (Vehicle
Speed Sense), Parking Brake, and Reverse; however
Reverse is not available on manual transmission vehicles.
APPLICATIONS
MITSUBISHI
Lancer 2008
Outlander 2007-2008
If vehicle is equipped with Bluetooth,
that feature will be retained.

Quick Reply: Chinese DVD / Radio / GPS Installation