Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Coolant Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 10:02 PM
Default Coolant Leak?

Hey Guys,

Ever since I have purchased my 2009 Outlander, the coolant level in the reservoir seems to be slightly dropping as time passes by. At the beginning of the year it was near the full mark (cold engine) but these days it is a bit below the middle (all cold starts). Is anyone experiencing same issue? Could the radiator cap be at fault? It doesn't look like anything is leaking. Of course my local Mitsu dealer didn't find anything wrong. Since Mitsu recommends a 50/50 coolant/water mixture, maybe it is normal as water simply evaporates over time? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 10-29-2010, 10:17 AM

I live in Phoenix where the nighttime temps don't really cool down that much in the summer. About 2 weeks ago the cooler weather finally hit where the temps overnight got into the high 50s, lower 60s. It was then that I noticed the level in the reservoir dropped overnight by about a half to three quarters of an inch from what it was in the summer.

Since then I have been checking it every morning, even using a ruler to measure it, and it hasn't dropped any more. My conclusion so far is the cooler weather is allowing more of the coolant to be sucked back into the radiator and the drop was normal.

I will continue to monitor it, but it appears to be related to the cooler weather.