Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Cross bars for 07/08 model

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 07:08 PM
Default Cross bars for 07/08 model

For the outie owners in North America, there are only Yakima and Thule cross bars available. The cross bars from both brands would stick out the factory installed rail, which loss the OEM look and caused a lot of noise. I personallly purchased the Thule aero model and think they were too noisy even at 30 mile/hr speed (w/o the fairing in this case).

Reading from the Aussie forum, I noticed someone in the North America purchased a pair of cross bars that don't stick out and has the OEM look (Rola RB119 model). Anyone has that install on their outie? Pictures would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:31 PM
Default RE: Cross bars for 07/08 model

Did you get the 450R then? The mount system looks really weird, so I'm never sure if I'm looking at the right product.

http://www.thuleracks.com/fg_choices...ption_number=2

Like this one here?

I tend to want to put heavy things up there like stuff you might haul home from home depot. You wouldn't happen to know how much weight the factory rails can take, would you?

Old 05-06-2008, 10:41 AM

I have the Rola crossbars and I'm sure I'm the only one with them in North America. They do look OEM (don't stick outside) as they are made specifically for the Outlander's roof rails. As you know, the roof rails are not parallel, and unless Mitsu will design some specific ones, any generic crossbars will stick out more or less.
Rola makes OEM-looking crossbars for various vehicles, but they don't distribute them outside Australia. However, I contacted a local retailer and he was happy to send me a pair.
I had some difficulties with the size of the rear bar, but that has been resolved (they sent me another one made to my specification).
I've had them on the car for about 2 months now and I'm happy with the looks.
They have a 50 kg load capacity and are made of aluminum black painted. They make noise above 70 km/h (40-45 mph), but I got used to it,however some may find it too loud. I have no reference to compare if they are louder or quieter thanother crossbars, on Outlander or other vehicles.The good thing is that they are easy to take off and put on if you'd like to eliminate the noise.
I will post some pictures soon (I’m yet to complete the rebuild of my main home-PC after a failure, but the wife is putting some pressure on me to get it done so it will be done soon). The price, shipped to my door, was $281 CAD, and for those in Canada, I didn’t get charged any taxes (shipped with Australian Post and took about 10 days to arrive).

Old 05-06-2008, 12:01 PM

Number6: I don't know the exact max weight you can put on the Thule 450R, I would guess it's between 50kg to 80kg. The link you sent was the exact one I bought.

dodo2:Really appreciate foryourinformation. You have always bee helpful. YoumindPM methe detail information about the measurement for the rear bar? I really look into buying these Rola bars. thanks in advance.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:27 PM

I can give you the contact information of the Australian retailer I worked with. He knows me well now and he was great to deal with. I'm not sure if Rola made the change to their specifications since they claim that the dimensionsare correct for the Australian Outlanders (which I highly doubt as I had an Australian forum member to take the measurements for me to compare).
By dealing with the guy I worked with, you can make sure you get the right bars.
I will post the pictures first and then I will explain to you what the differences were between what it was originally shipped and what I ended up with. It’s important to be OK with the installation points as you can only properly install the crossbars in a fix position (they allow little variation, but not much).

The factory (Rola) spec for the rear bar is 921 mm, but the one I got is 938 mm. The bars are spaced exactly 80 cm on my car. Initially, as per Rola installation, the bars should be spaced 70 mm. However to install it in the intended spot,the rear bar should be even longer by few more millimeters (about 6 mmmore I would say).I'm fine where the rear bar sits right now. The front bar was fine and I did not have any problem fitting it.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:22 PM

I have a Black 07 LS and added the Thule 450 (not r). I think they look sharp. They do stick out a little and I do notice some wind noise but it isn't horrible. Total cost was $220 for the feet and crossbars. I can post a pic if anyone is interested.
________
Shadow

Last edited by ruchuck; 02-07-2011 at 08:50 PM.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:43 AM

Finally I got a chance to take some pictures. I have more pictures or if you have particular questions, just ask.
Name:  IMG_1625.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  63.9 KB

Name:  IMG_1639.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  65.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1643.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  39.6 KB

Old 10-09-2008, 03:14 PM

I think Dodo2's got the nicest crossbars. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get hold of the Rola sales rep from Austrailia to get me the same set. Hopefully they will eventually be available in N America.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:06 PM

ORIGINAL: puwit321

I think Dodo2's got the nicest crossbars. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get hold of the Rola sales rep from Austrailia to get me the same set. Hopefully they will eventually be available in N America.

I doubt they'll be available here. What do you mean you couldn't get hold of him? Let me know.

Old 10-10-2008, 01:16 PM

I sent an email to the sale guy you referred me to but he never responded. Thanks.