Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

CVT proven or not ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 12:52 PM
Kip

Yes that's correct. Not sure why u guys get a worse deal in the US on exactly the same vehicles. I guess in theory used ones should be worth less there. We were looking at new ones for double the price of the 2012 we picked up at 50,000km (30,000 miles) but the 5 years left of powertrain warranty defiantly made the difference for us.

Old 03-18-2016, 12:53 PM

I have no idea - but it sucks! Now I have to make a decision whether to buy an extended warranty or not - which is why I ask if the CVT has proven itself yet or is still up in the air.
J just don't know yet.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by The Silent Seed
I have no idea - but it sucks! Now I have to make a decision whether to buy an extended warranty or not - which is why I ask if the CVT has proven itself yet or is still up in the air.
J just don't know yet.

It would be great to hear from some other members that have older Mitsu's with a CVT...my 2009 Lancer with CVT was a great car..I sold it with 230,000 km.and it was running perfectly...again with proper and timely maintenance .

I would check some older posts on the LANCER section...see what people are saying. I have great confidence in these vehicles..with proper maintenance.
Any car will break if it's not taken care of.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:33 AM

Finally! Our first real account - thank you! Great to hear.
Anybody else had a CVT with higher mileage ?

Old 03-22-2016, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Kip
Yes that's correct. Not sure why u guys get a worse deal in the US on exactly the same vehicles. I guess in theory used ones should be worth less there. We were looking at new ones for double the price of the 2012 we picked up at 50,000km (30,000 miles) but the 5 years left of powertrain warranty defiantly made the difference for us.
Several things going on in the U.S.

1. First, much of our used car inventory goes overseas to africa, the middle east(viral photo of a plumbers truck driven by isis), eastern europe, and some asian countries. The reason is, we sell lots of gas vehicles which are inherently cheaper to purchase than diesels, and our car prices are generally cheaper new and used vs many of these countries. Reducing the used car market causes prices to rise at auction. When you go to these auctions, i live near the manheim auto auction(largest in the united states), and you see all kinds of foreign nationals bidding on cars, ready to put them on their boat and ship them off, it's a shame.

2. Easy access to credit in the U.S. Basically if you have a job, you have credit. You can buy a used car less than 5 years old and make payments on it for 6 years. Yes, when you're done paying off a car, it's 11 years old. Access to credit like this drives up used car prices. For cars 6-7 years old, you can still get a 5 year loan. So those car prices drop another tier, and older than 7 years, those used car prices drop significantly.

3. Access to brand new cars is super easy. I think the U.S. car market is the biggest in the world, for any given country. You can get an 84 month loan on a car now, that's 7 years, and get very low interest for people with mid level credit. And with the used car market prices being so high, many people make that little step up to a brand new car to take advantage of lower interest rates. This cycle continues to feed the new car market.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by gggplaya
I think the U.S. car market is the biggest in the world, for any given country.
U.S car sales set record in 2015 with 17.5 million cars and trucks sold. But China retained status as the world’s No. 1 auto market in 2015, selling 24.6 million units.

According to Wiki,

In 2009, 13.83 million motor vehicles were manufactured in China, surpassing Japan as the world's largest automobile producer. Now, annual production of more than 18 million automobiles exceeds that of the United States and Japan combined, or that of the EU. Moreover, with total sales of 13.64 million, China became the largest automobile market in the world for the full year 2009, overtaking the United States.

Old 03-23-2016, 01:53 PM

I don't think china should count, they sell things there that shouldn't even be considered cars.

Old 03-23-2016, 02:22 PM

Good point! And, you can get 4 or 5 of their cars for the price of one of ours, so there you go. If they are selling 5 times more, that's why.
There's so much that could be said about this topic, so let's get back to THIS topic.
Is there really only one person here who has "proven" their CVT with higher mileage?

Old 03-23-2016, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by The Silent Seed
Good point! And, you can get 4 or 5 of their cars for the price of one of ours, so there you go. If they are selling 5 times more, that's why.
Apparently you have no idea. They have the same Made in Japan Mitsubishi Outlander there. And the sale price is $10,000 to $20,000 higher than what we pay here. Most of their middle-class drive Audi, BMW or Mercedes. From Google,

The US sticker price for a BMW X5 SUV, for instance, is a little over $56,000 but in China its price is about $153,000.

Old 03-23-2016, 04:02 PM

Please avoid hijacking this thread. I have a legitimate question about CVT transmission longevity.

If you want to debate car prices worldwide - feel free to start a thread on that subject.

Last edited by The Silent Seed; 03-23-2016 at 04:08 PM.