Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

CVT --when in manual ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 05:34 PM
Default CVT --when in manual ???

Not sure if this has been talked about ,couldn't find any thing.

But do you guys think that when in the semi manual mode when changing gear that they feel like the up+ and down- threw the gears is the wrong way around.????

Can't tell you how many times ,I've changing gears in the wrong way.
I think ,if your going to a higher gear it should be pulled back ,not forwards and vicer versa.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Sleddog
Not sure if this has been talked about ,couldn't find any thing.

But do you guys think that when in the semi manual mode when changing gear that they feel like the up+ and down- threw the gears is the wrong way around.????

Can't tell you how many times ,I've changing gears in the wrong way.
I think ,if your going to a higher gear it should be pulled back ,not forwards and vicer versa.
Forward +, Backward -.

Some cars use this scheme, some (e.g. Mazda 3) - reversed.

If you're confused, use steering wheel paddles - left takes gear down, right takes up.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:54 AM

I find + = forward very intuitive. I don't see why any car has it backwards, that just doesn't make any sense. You are going to the next gear when pushing foreward, and going down one gear when backwards.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by ivanz
I find + = forward very intuitive. I don't see why any car has it backwards, that just doesn't make any sense. You are going to the next gear when pushing foreward, and going down one gear when backwards.
Pushing forward is toward the feet, feet are generally located lower than head, so forward is down

So there is an explanation for reversed approach too.

Anyway it is the matter of habit.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:48 AM

Probably doesn't help that I drive a manual speed limited to 30km car at work and only use 1st and 2nd.

I just find that if your driving a stick shift ,when changing gear straight your going up+ by pulling back and down- gear pushing forward.
Even when I look down ,when I've stuffed it up ...you see Reverse is forward of the lever and Drive is behind ,you can hardly see the + or - sort of puts you off for a second.
You might notice in alot of race cars with a straight threw gears ,its up+ pulling back and down- is pushing forwards.

If your in the manual mode and you need to stop quick and you want to use the gears to slow down ...your bodys weight shifts forwards as your braking and you can use the lever to brace your self but you go up+ a gear.
Same when taking of at the traffic light grandpix ,your back in the seat and need to lean forward to change up.

Just seemed like it wasn't thought out ....not a probelm love the car ,just think it was **** about.

Last edited by Sleddog; 02-10-2011 at 04:51 AM.