Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Dash Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 02:54 AM
Default Dash Rattle

I have a 2007 Outlander with a rattle in the dash some where. Its very annoying. I told the service department at my local Mitsubishi dealer and they said that rattles are only covered for 5000km. Mine has 45,000Km on it. It rattles depending on the road conditions. A rough tarred road (not potholes just a rough finish) and it rattles continuously but as soon as you hit smooth tar it stops. There is nothing in the glove box or rolling around loose in the car. Its not speed dependant and will rattle just a much at 30Km/h as it will at 100.
I thought I had heard about a noisy speedo cable but I have been back 20 pages and did a search on it and I cannot find anything. Any one had some thing like this?
5000Km coverage for a rattle. A bit stupid!

mulder

Old 11-26-2008, 06:52 AM
Default RE: Dash Rattle

You're not serious about a speedo cable are you? lol

About the source of the rattle, those are never easy to find... Suggestions:

Find it yourself by

1. Get someone to drive vehicle over pavement you know causes the rattle
2. Search for area in dash where the sound comes from, localize it, feel around to sense vibration
3. Use a stethoscope if you can put your hands on one
4. Remove panelling from under dash, glove box etc and feel around with hand until you find it or force it to stop
5. Fix root problem when found

There is no magic way to do this.... But if you're persistent, you'll find it.

But seriously, the "speedo" cable?

Old 11-26-2008, 02:24 PM

ORIGINAL: dekodan

You're not serious about a speedo cable are you? lol
I think he meant throtle cable. My last vehicle had this problem. At a specific rpm level the throtle cable would vibrate under the hood, which it sounded like it was coming from the dash somewhere.

Old 11-26-2008, 03:45 PM

Mine does this as well. when my GF drives, I can hold the lower glove box closed with my hand the sound will go away.

Old 11-27-2008, 03:10 AM

correct me if im wrong but your new vehicle warranty is 6 years, as well as 50 thousand. should this not be coverd under your nvw?

Old 11-27-2008, 04:09 PM

ORIGINAL: BrodyGuy

correct me if im wrong but your new vehicle warranty is 6 years, as well as 50 thousand. should this not be coverd under your nvw?

I would make sure it is not something you can do with a wrench yourself first. In my old car I had a rattle sound by the driver's area. I asked the dealership to fix it under warranty and They got some new guy with a wrench to fix it. After picking it up I almost got into an accident the tech guy had forgotten to put the nuts back in place and the entire lower panel fell over my legs and my right leg got entangled with some wires while trying to stop the car in the middle of the highway...

Not a good experience...

SO now if I hear a sound I will try to fix it myself before asking for a Master mechanic to do it...

Old 11-28-2008, 12:20 AM

lol. where do all you people live where you have all these half job mechanics? lol.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:46 AM

A dash rattle would fall under an adjustment not a repair, I don't know what's the MMC coverage for that.On my old car it was only for 1 year even though the bumper to bumper warranty was much longer.

Old 11-30-2008, 03:18 AM

Thanks for your replies. I thought the speedo was electronic and therefore no cable BUT I thought someone has said something about a cable and I just put speedo and I wasnt thinking. It must have been the throttle cable as some one mentioned. In Oz the rattles are covered for 5000Km only (about 3000 miles). I have tried to localise the noide and it seems to be coming from behind the speedo / tacho display. Its not the glove box. I cannot localise it whilst driving and its dependant on the road surface to make a noise. Rough road noise, smooth nothing.
Thanks everyone
mulder

Old 11-30-2008, 05:48 AM

I have the same problem, though to me it seems it comes somwhere from the drivers door. I am also from Oz so I assume its around the same general area.

I've posted this on another forum: have a look. I've done it but will report back again if it did work.

http://www.mitsubishiclubaustralia.c...pic.php?t=8766