Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Daylight Running Lights (DRL)

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 02:29 AM
Default Daylight Running Lights (DRL)

Daylight Running Lights (DRL) are in my humble opinion THE most annoying "feature" of this car. It serves no purpose other than making sure the headlights burn out as quickly as possible. My previous car did not have the feature and last 2 years LONGER w/o DRL than my Mom's which had the feature.

Ihave tried taking off the fuse, but it didn't work.

Does anyone know of any way to DISABLE this annoying "feature"??? [:'(]

My Mitsu dealer said they cannot do it, but you guys know how to work around the system. When I had a my little '92 Miata, we did things to it the dealers said we couldn't do. All Thanks for forum people like you and me.

Can anyone help?

Thanks! Gracias! Merci! Obrigado!

Old 03-07-2007, 01:43 PM
Default RE: Daylight Running Lights (DRL)

DRL's have been mandated in Canada for at least a decade now and I for one had no problem when they were introduced. In fact I can't count the number of times the DRL's have saved a potential head-on collision, particularly at dusk. I find it more disconcerting now when I see cars without DRL's, i.e. exempt older models, US visitors, etc., but I guess I am just used to them....

Old 03-07-2007, 02:04 PM

Wow, that is interesting. I did not know that Canada was mandated DRL. Here in the US of A, they are not required and honestly, we don't get as many cloudy days/overcast days as Canada does. So the DRL are more of an irritation (and waste of a bulb, which in the Outlander case costs something like $80 a piece). I live in the "Sunshine State" and I am moving to a state where they get 300 sunny days per year, so frankly finding a way to eliminate the DRL would be awesome. Anyone has any ideas to de-activate this deplorable feature? Thanks!

Old 03-07-2007, 02:13 PM

Remove the bulbs. lol

Old 03-07-2007, 02:58 PM

LOL Yeah, sounds like an idea!! hehe Anyone know..... maybe reprogram the flash chip??? Damn, I really hate DRL! [:@]

Old 03-07-2007, 03:48 PM
JMC

Either take out the bulbs or deal with it..............

Old 03-07-2007, 04:23 PM

Is it the headlights or the fog lights, I thought it was just Saab and Volvo that hadDRLbecause of the laws intheir country of origin and couldn't be assed to disable it for overseas sales!

Old 03-07-2007, 04:48 PM
JMC

It's the fogs for the Outlander owners that have HID's...................

Old 03-07-2007, 06:31 PM

I just figured it out.... I love not having DRL's. My outlander is a 06, not sure if it would be done the same way on the 07. But all you have to do is remove the front ecu which is the red box inside the fuse cover lid under the hood. Once you pull that box out bend the second clip from the top to the side (opposite of the side with writing and part #) and there you go! no more drl's

Old 03-07-2007, 07:02 PM

DRL's saved me quite a bit on insurance, so I'm happy I have them.

Quick Reply: Daylight Running Lights (DRL)