Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Daylight Running Lights (DRL)

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 08:55 PM
Default RE: Daylight Running Lights (DRL)

DRLs are one of the most useful features introduced on todays cars.
regardless of what you believe, they work to decrease accidents. Leave them alone.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:42 AM

ORIGINAL: Manybrews

DRLs are one of the most useful features introduced on todays cars.
regardless of what you believe, they work to decrease accidents. Leave them alone.
Brews,

I agree with you, but can't they find a way to SHUT THEM OFF WHILE I'M PARKED?

It's so damn annoying having them stay on while i'm in park and not moving. And why don't they stay on when I turn on my HID's? The one time I want them on, and they shut off. Stupid design by MMNA.

Old 03-08-2007, 01:23 AM

I highly doubt the DRL would even be visible over the more powerful HID lights.

Old 03-08-2007, 01:43 AM

ORIGINAL: antlip

Because the DRL's are actually the foglights in the XLS, it creates a problem. The foglights shut off when the HID's are on. Once again, it's a dumb design by MMNA. Now I don't have the option of having foglights.

Old 03-08-2007, 01:58 AM

ORIGINAL: blackb13

ORIGINAL: antlip

Because the DRL's are actually the foglights in the XLS, it creates a problem. The foglights shut off when the HID's are on. Once again, it's a dumb design by MMNA. Now I don't have the option of having foglights.
the foglights dont "shut off" when the HIDs are on; they cars with HID's dont have foglights at all.

Old 03-08-2007, 02:22 AM

the foglights dont "shut off" when the HIDs are on; they cars with HID's dont have foglights at all.
Brews,

What would MMNA do if I purchased the "foglight" option for my XLS? Would I have to pay $300 for a switch that allows me to bypass the "foglights" aka DRL's or would MMNA install extra foglights on the roof of my truck, since my OEM foglights are being used as DRL's?

Instead of using foglights as DRL's, they should've just put an extra 9004 bulb in the headlight housing (in addition to the HID capsule) and used that as a DRL. Instead they chose to use the location utilized by optional "foglights" as DRL's.

And that's not the annoying part. What's annoying is that THEY DON'T TURN OFF WHEN YOU ARE PARKED!!!

Old 03-08-2007, 04:02 AM

DRL on my LS only turn on when I am parked if I: 1. Put the transmission on reverse and then back to park. 2. Put the parking brake down (I kid you not). Once the DRL are on, the only way to shut them off it turning off the car. It is annoying as Blackb13 says. I park in front of a friend's house (driveway) and people come out to see what is going on, why is there are a car with headlights on my front door. All it is is putting cologne on or waiting for someone to get their make-up done. I get no insurance discount for DRL and I have no fog lights, so I am thinking my bulb will bust sooner than it normally should for no reason. I also live in a very sunny area, so no one can see the DRL. No wonder I am ticked about it.Plus FL is #4 most expensive car insurance state in the US... you get discounts for nothing. I tried taking out the fuse (fuse #13 on the engine compartiment), but didn't work. [:@]At least I tried.

Old 03-08-2007, 07:04 AM
JMC

Just get them re-wired....I'm looking into geting HIDs in the fogs like on my '03. If I have better vision at night with bright lights them I'm happy.

Old 03-08-2007, 07:39 PM

ORIGINAL: blackb13

Brews,

What would MMNA do if I purchased the "foglight" option for my XLS? Would I have to pay $300 for a switch that allows me to bypass the "foglights" aka DRL's or would MMNA install extra foglights on the roof of my truck, since my OEM foglights are being used as DRL's?
cant be done.. at least not that easily. Its all hardwired into the CAN BUS. its more software than hardware.
Instead of using foglights as DRL's, they should've just put an extra 9004 bulb in the headlight housing (in addition to the HID capsule) and used that as a DRL. Instead they chose to use the location utilized by optional "foglights" as DRL's.

And that's not the annoying part. What's annoying is that THEY DON'T TURN OFF WHEN YOU ARE PARKED!!!
they shut off because between the HIDs and the DRLs (or foglights, whatever you wanna call them) they actually exceed the maximum level of lumens allowed by cars.

also, there are many, many companies that dont shut them off when parked. Is it really that big a deal to have 2 lights on?

Old 03-08-2007, 08:41 PM

DRL is mandatory many places in Europe too.

Quick Reply: Daylight Running Lights (DRL)