Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Daylight Running Lights (DRL)

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 03:40 PM
Default RE: Daylight Running Lights (DRL)

First, let me say that I like my DRLs. It's nice not having to turn on my mains at dusk and dawn, when the sun is low and some headlight illumination is a big safety improvement. I can't tell you how many times I see these idiots without any lights on because they think they can see fine with the daylight they have. Lights are not only for you to see, but for others to see you.
OK, enough of that rant.
However, I see Christian's point of view. Some of us are safety conscious and know when we need to turn on our lights. We don't need the femputer telling us when and how to do it. DRLs improve safety in some situations, not all, yet it's on all the time during they day, even when the sun is in the middle of the sky. For some of us who care and slave over the cars we love, having a constant, "unneeded" load on the electrical system is a nagging little thing that's just annoying.
As for a workaround, if you took out the fuse and that didn't work, then you may have taken out the wrong fuse (I'm assuming you don't have the HIDs).
You also have the option of the relay. However, I'm still on the lookout for the service manual, so I can't help with the relay location.

Old 03-10-2007, 05:22 PM

The electrical load for 2 small lights is next to nothing. Buy an optima battery if your worried about load on your car.

Old 03-10-2007, 05:26 PM

I like the DRL as a safety feature. Two thumbs upfor the Canadians for insisting that their cars have it.

However, if there is a concern that DRL will cause headlights to wear out sooner, than those who have that concern should have a replacement (spare)headlight in their vehicle. (Just like all cars have a spare tire.)

Old 03-10-2007, 06:02 PM

the lifetime of the bulb MAY decrease by 3 percent.
not a big deal. most people can afford a new bulb, so that argument is silly.

Old 03-11-2007, 09:37 PM

I have a question, If I want to get the fog lights added as an accessorie, will they be operated from the turn signal stick or will it be a stand alone switch? also do you know if they can be operated along with the high beams. I know when it comes with fogs from the factory the switch is located on the stick and they dont work with high beams, I was wondering if this would be the same if I got them as an add on later?

Old 03-11-2007, 10:53 PM

ORIGINAL: OTO27

I have a question, If I want to get the fog lights added as an accessorie, will they be operated from the turn signal stick or will it be a stand alone switch? also do you know if they can be operated along with the high beams. I know when it comes with fogs from the factory the switch is located on the stick and they dont work with high beams, I was wondering if this would be the same if I got them as an add on later?
this has been talked about many times here.
you cannot add fog lights if you have the HID headlights.
and no foglights can legally be used with high-beams, so they shut off automatically.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:38 AM

Next question, are the DRLs in XLS with HIDs the same as the fog lights in the LS? Because from what I understand the DRLs are basically fog lights that functions as DRLs as well.

Old 03-12-2007, 01:33 AM

the cars with standard headlights have foglights you can control.
the cars with HID lights have those foglights turned into non-controllable DRLs.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:00 AM

Sorry for not being clear with the question. What I actually meant was, are the bulbs in the foglights for XLS with HIDs the same for the foglights in LS? I want to know if there is a physical difference in the bulb brightness and usability of DRLs as compared to standard foglights in the LS. Although I presume they are the same, I could be wrong.

Old 03-12-2007, 03:06 AM

FYI - on the non-HID Outlander (at least the Canadian models), the fog lights are 55w H11's.

Quick Reply: Daylight Running Lights (DRL)