Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Daytime running light lamp replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Vadimus
Only for turn bulbs.

DRLs can tolerate anything from crappy LEDs to 35W halogens (handle with care).
That's what I was thinking. Ordered the DRLs from Amazon posted above, I'll get a pic when they're installed and report back.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:48 AM
Thumbs up

Hi all,

So I did the LED conversion on my DRL on my 2010 Outlander XLS V6 AWD.

In my honest opinion these LEDs are beautiful! Time will tell to their dependability, but I am very happy with first impressions.

Taking pics at night was challenging, but here's what I got so far:

Newwer 27 SMD Projector LED 1156 Bulbs:

Before:

Name:  eGyIjKo.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  1.40 MB

Affter:

Name:  mUCxNzo.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  1.32 MB

Name:  1KMZozx.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  1.50 MB

Name:  4OxTrhu.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  1.29 MB

Name:  6WNh17o.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  1.07 MB

Daytime:

Name:  4gS7jaZ.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  1.51 MB

Old 10-06-2014, 09:34 AM

ooh the lights are great no doubt about taht... the issue is the type of lighting they provide, you want flood style lighting for rev lights, the issue is with them as back up lights you can see the wall 30 yards behind your car clear as day but none of the area between you and that wall... was horrible for hooking up the trailer or even dumb **** like backing the car up the driveway.

Old 10-06-2014, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by JRK5892
ooh the lights are great no doubt about taht... the issue is the type of lighting they provide, you want flood style lighting for rev lights, the issue is with them as back up lights you can see the wall 30 yards behind your car clear as day but none of the area between you and that wall... was horrible for hooking up the trailer or even dumb **** like backing the car up the driveway.
Well, flood lighting depends on the reflective housing, right? So if installed in the reverse lights, you'd theoretically get a projection backward and the surrounding SMDs would reflect off the reflective housing, giving you your flood lighting.

Again, all in theory. I will try to get them installed in the reverse lights and report back.

Old 10-07-2014, 05:51 AM

Do those DRLs double as cornering lights? I've also got the bi-xenon setup like that, no DRLs but cornering, trying to figure out if the two (DRL and cornering) are using identical reflectors etc., and as such are legal for both purposes

Old 10-07-2014, 10:22 AM

no sir you are thinking old school bulbs, not LED hell CREE (best in the led game) sells flood and spot light leds so you can build your own set ups, same things they use in their light bars, i have done about 15 of these on my toys. the light deflection off the LED itself is completely different for flood as it is for projection, even with the 50/50's along the sides of the bulb you get almost zero flood style lighting, they are also 6k and that is not really what you want for that style of lighting. again if you just want the clean bright look these will do it, but i need the lighting for backing up and trailers and ****, i just could not roll with the look alone. They look bright as **** in the pictures, even the ones i snapped of them on in my truck where bright, but then you turn around and look there is nothing for a good 15-20 yards behind you then the area 20+ yards away is very well lit. great for driving ****ty for backing up

Old 10-07-2014, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by RoGuE_StreaK
Do those DRLs double as cornering lights? I've also got the bi-xenon setup like that, no DRLs but cornering, trying to figure out if the two (DRL and cornering) are using identical reflectors etc., and as such are legal for both purposes
you are thinking of what is called switch back LED's i use these all the time in the shop on customer bike builds. they work great to provide a strong light when used as a running light and them turn amber or red when signalling

Old 10-07-2014, 12:39 PM

Do those DRLs double as cornering lights?

I don't know the answer to this. Sorry!

Old 10-07-2014, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by JRK5892
you are thinking of what is called switch back LED's
No I'm not. Perhaps my choice of wording was poor, I was refering to the AFS (Adaptive Front-lighting System) - "...provides increased illumination of corners when the car is turning"

Old 10-07-2014, 05:18 PM

No I'm not. Perhaps my choice of wording was poor, I was refering to the AFS (Adaptive Front-lighting System) - "...provides increased illumination of corners when the car is turning"
You mean like those side lamps that physically rotate when you're turning? Typically seen on BMWs/Audis?

Quick Reply: Daytime running light lamp replacement