Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

dealer WRECKED my outlander

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 06:08 PM

Find a lawyer or firm who will take the case and include the legal fees as a part of the settlement. There are a ton of them out there in every state. Call around .. they will always give you a free initial consultation/opinion. Tell them all the facts like the dealership saying they would "hide" the repair. I'm sure that violates their contractual agreements with Mitsubishi. If someone at Mitsubishi said this is also acceptable keep a log of who you have talked to along names/times/phone numbers etc. It's wrong and we know it's wrong to hide damage repairs from a subsequent owner/purchaser. If you have a way record the conversations. Just make sure you tell every person it is being recorded.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:18 PM

excellent country we live in... someone made a mistake and slightly damaged the car and tried to make things right while others are already advising to sue. I hope you'll taste your own "suggestions" when you make some unexpected mistake. If the damage was done on purpose that's whole another story, but it's obvious that dealer admitted the mistake and tried to make things right already.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:24 PM

klas = thankfully this forum has an ignore list

Old 06-09-2009, 06:27 PM

yes forum does, but you cannot ignore the reality... btw, I wasn't referring to anyone in particular here, these are just thoughts out loud and I run into these "suggestions" to sue everywhere.

Last edited by klas; 06-09-2009 at 06:29 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:34 PM

regarding Carfax, I don't think there is a law requiring a repair shop to report to Carfax for any work done on a vehicle. Carfax literally just pulled information from any public records from court, DMV, insurance company (if they have contracted with the insurance company) or maybe police report if that is even possible. Situation like this here which a dealer is taking care of a solitaire accident, not involving injury, not involving insurance, not involving changing of title (salvage, repossessed..etc), there is a very high chance that Carfax can't get any information of the incident.

regarding trade-in. I traded in couple of cars in the past. My experience is that as long as you are serious about buying a new car from the dealer, they don't really care about your trade-in. They literally just look up the trade-in value based on mileages at KKB or something equivalent, and just offer you the lowest price possible. How much you can get out of the trade-in from there is up to your negotiation skills. There is typically no real used-car appraiser at any dealership. The sales person or sales manager may walk around your car once to see if there is obvious damage just to make sure the doors are not falling and the window are not replaced by plastic sheets, if that.

If I were in your situation, I would just make sure the dealer fix up the car as soon as possible and do a good job at it. Make sure they cover the cost of the rental car. As long as the car is fixed properly, do not listen to the other poster's suggestion by refusing taking the car back. The dealer will have all the rights to charge you the storage fee afterwards which could be hundreds of dollar per night. They will win the case in court as long as they fix the car and cover all your expense in a reasonable fashion. Plus, I guarantee you that they won't pay for your so "diminished value".....who can even estimate that kind of thing until you try to sell your car. Even insurance company won't pay for that kind of thing when you are in an accident.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by 08Outtie
regarding Carfax, I don't think there is a law requiring a repair shop to report to Carfax for any work done on a vehicle. Carfax literally just pulled information from any public records from court, DMV, insurance company (if they have contracted with the insurance company) or maybe police report if that is even possible. Situation like this here which a dealer is taking care of a solitaire accident, not involving injury, not involving insurance, not involving changing of title (salvage, repossessed..etc), there is a very high chance that Carfax can't get any information of the incident.

regarding trade-in. I traded in couple of cars in the past. My experience is that as long as you are serious about buying a new car from the dealer, they don't really care about your trade-in. They literally just look up the trade-in value based on mileages at KKB or something equivalent, and just offer you the lowest price possible. How much you can get out of the trade-in from there is up to your negotiation skills. There is typically no real used-car appraiser at any dealership. The sales person or sales manager may walk around your car once to see if there is obvious damage just to make sure the doors are not falling and the window are not replaced by plastic sheets, if that.

If I were in your situation, I would just make sure the dealer fix up the car as soon as possible and do a good job at it. Make sure they cover the cost of the rental car. As long as the car is fixed properly, do not listen to the other poster's suggestion by refusing taking the car back. The dealer will have all the rights to charge you the storage fee afterwards which could be hundreds of dollar per night. They will win the case in court as long as they fix the car and cover all your expense in a reasonable fashion. Plus, I guarantee you that they won't pay for your so "diminished value".....who can even estimate that kind of thing until you try to sell your car. Even insurance company won't pay for that kind of thing when you are in an accident.
This is right on point!

At the end of the day you'll just have to suck it up and be thankful that it's not a hit and run type of accident where you would be spending your own money.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:42 PM

so what would i do? if i have to wait after the repair is done and i'm not satisfied or maybe accepted the vehicle but come trade-in time i got a low value. it might be too late if i don't act now. i presented my case to legalmatch.com don't know if it's a good site or even a good idea.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:12 PM

I wouldn't worry too much at this point about the trade-in value. The only thing you can do is stay on top of the repair and make sure they complete the repair to your satisfaction. Like couple of us said before, as long as the damage is cosmetic and repaired well enough, it shouldn't hurt the trade-in value anyway.

Maybe you can type up a short agreement basically to have them agree on their responsibility, such as reimbursing you the rental car expense.

I guess if you are still worried, you can call your insurance company and see if they can help you to resolve the issue. Hopefully it is not too late for the insurance company to step in. Since it is not your fault, your insurance premium won't be affected. They will probably contact the dealership and their business liability insurance company to cover all the bases.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:31 PM

firsttime being in an accident didn't know what to do. so i need to call the insurance? the dealer told us that if it is an insurance claim then the carfax will be affected. so is it too late now to call? still didn't called. i'm sorry for this guys i just need help.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:25 PM

Yes, calling your insurance company will more than likely have it come up on carfax.

I agree with 08Outtie and klas. Check over the whole repair, make sure it all looks good as new. Have them pay for your rental. They have already compensated you by refunding the $199,which is good. I would also ask that they pay for your next maintenance, and then all would be good with the world.

Everyone is so eager to sue these days.

Quick Reply: dealer WRECKED my outlander