Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

dealer WRECKED my outlander

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 08:53 AM

if you want anything out of this on top of the repair, ask for a few scheduled maintainances for free or some accessories.
no need to sue especially since they obviously took full responsibility.

as for trade-in value, i traded in my 07 Galant and the guy just walked around the car to make sure there were no dents and just ran a lean report on it in the province i bought the car from since i traded it off when i moved provinces.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:36 AM

I wouldn't call insurance, if you report a claim your rates may go up, even if they don't anything.

Like Elisha I'd ask them for some free scheduled maintenance to make up for the inconvenience, but as long as the repair is done well, pursuing litigation will just waste your time, and the most you would get is the depreciated value of your car, which is probably lower than the trade in value anyway.

At least you know it will get fixed and you won't have to pay for it. My Outlander was hit and run by someone 24 hours after I got it, front fender damage. Didn't want to file an insurance claim which would affect my rates and paid $750 out of pocket on day 2 to have it fixed.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:02 PM

your insurance rate will go up regardless of whose fault it is unless you fight it with your agent if it wasn't your fault. i had a break in that was reported and my insurance rate went up by about $5 a month.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by klas
This is so NOT true, if job done right no one is going to notice. As a matter of fact I traded in my 06 TSX with repaired bumper for 07 Outlander and "appraiser" didn't say anything. Although I would never recommend doing trade-ins because no matter how perfect your car is you'll get less money then from private sale.
it is VERY true.
Any halfway decent tech can tell easily if a cars has been hit, regardless of how well the job has been done.
the paint job alone easily tells, much less the hundreds of other signs.

Of course, some wont even bother looking.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by klas
excellent country we live in... someone made a mistake and slightly damaged the car and tried to make things right while others are already advising to sue. I hope you'll taste your own "suggestions" when you make some unexpected mistake. If the damage was done on purpose that's whole another story, but it's obvious that dealer admitted the mistake and tried to make things right already.
couldnt have said it better myself.

I frankly am ashamed at any idiot here threatening to sue.

Accidents happen. Cope. they're fixing it. You'll live.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Manybrews
it is VERY true.
Any halfway decent tech can tell easily if a cars has been hit, regardless of how well the job has been done.
the paint job alone easily tells, much less the hundreds of other signs.

Of course, some wont even bother looking.
You might be right, but I think it really depends on dealership and at big dealerships they may not care about picking on repainted bumpers.

actually, I could even tell myself without looking hard that bumper was painted, it was obvious at the edges, but... no one said anything

Old 06-11-2009, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by Elisha
your insurance rate will go up regardless of whose fault it is unless you fight it with your agent if it wasn't your fault. i had a break in that was reported and my insurance rate went up by about $5 a month.
I will have to disagree with your view on insurance claim. I would think that your premium increased either because your insurance just adjusted their annual pricing from the year before, or they put the level of your neighborhood crime-rate in to consideration at renewal time. Outside of those kind of circumstantial factors, premium typically only increases if you have points on your record. All else being equal, break-in, got hit-n-run, or third party at fault shouldn't increase your premium because none of them add points to your record. Sometimes even when you are at fault but it is minor incident, your premium may not even changed. In my own personal experience, I had hit a car from behind once, I reported to the insurance company and fully expected my premium to go up because I was obviously at fault. However, my insurance company later informed me that the damage to the car that I hit was less than $500, they didn't give me a point even I was at fault and there was no impact to my premium.

I'm not saying it is impossible for insurance company to increase your rate regardless who is at fault, but if yours increase your rate even though it isn't your fault, you better find yourself another insurance company.

In this situation though, I don't think reporting to the insurance company is necessary because your dealer is already doing the right thing. If you feel that you may be unable to get your fair compensation directly dealing with them, you may want to get your insurance company involved just in case. Afterall, that is why you pay for full coverage policy.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:32 PM

i'm so confused and decided to wait and hope for the best.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:03 PM

the dealer just called. my outlander is ready. i will post how everything goes when i get back.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:34 AM

wohoo got my outlander back. oh i miss my outie. everything is well. didn't pay a dime but my time and effort. they also gave me three free mentainance schedule to compensate my inconvenience. they did a good job with the repair though.

Quick Reply: dealer WRECKED my outlander