Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Disable Daytime Running Light?? is possible?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 04:10 PM
Default RE: Disable Daytime Running Light?? is possible?

ah, well I was hoping it would be possible to reprogramm fog lights in US Outlander to be always. We don't have an option to have the foglights on when HIDs are on.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:23 PM

I called my dealer, but didn't get an answer yet. Has anyone tried to do that?

Old 01-05-2008, 06:16 AM

In the UK we have a great switch to keep the fog lights off its called "THE POLICE" these nice people chase after you in a silver BMW with all the blue lights on and when they stop you they will write a form out that requires you to pay £60 to HM Government in a fine. They dont check if you have been drink driving that takes too long they the "police" like to dole these fine forms out at the end off the month then say its a very nice car before letting you go!!!

So if you want to mess around with your lights keep it legal or like me loose £60

HID conversions are not legal if converted after a car has been made if you dont fit them with headlamps washers/jets at the same time in all EU areas

puddy

Old 01-05-2008, 10:17 AM

Puddy,
thank you for explanation.

I newer know that switching on the fog lights with headlights (HIDs only? how about halogen?) is a law violation. Do you have any links about this law? It will be interest for me.

I hear about European law that provides the car equipped HID must have headlamp washer. It need to prevent dazzle other drivers by dirty but power headlights. I guess that is right but I can't find any technical information about this phenomenon. How and why dirty glass on headlamp can dazzle?

Thanks for further advice.

Old 01-06-2008, 01:58 PM

Probably differs from country to country - Where I live (Sweden) we are not allowed to have fog lights turned ontogether with"normal" headlights (HID or incan. no difference). In regards to washers, all cars sold here must be fitted with them HID or not, in addition, all HID headlights must come with automatic levelling...

I am very pleased with the HIDs on the Outie, but a bit disappointed that the high beam uses normal bulbs rather than HIDs as well.

Old 01-07-2008, 01:46 PM

There is very, veryfew cars here in the US that have HID's in the high beam along with the low beam... Seems like a waste since high beams are on for like less than 10% of all night driving. Halogen high beams seem efficient enough for their use.

In the US, there is no restriction on having fog lights on. You can have them on whenever you want. The only rule is you can only have 4 lights on at a time though (highs and lows or lows and fogs, and when highs are on fogs auto turn off). I see it about 50% of the time though that cars with HID's are able to keep their standard halogen fogs on at the same time. I wish we could keep our "DRL's" on with the HID's. The dealership says if you have HID's, you dont have fogs. But if you have standard halogens (no HID) then you do have fogs. Its the same lights in the same location!!! A technicality, but idiots.

Most aftermarket HID kits sold in the US are not DOT approved, so that would make them illegal. Some are though. You see it mostly with a '96 Honda Civic and the lights are out of control, because they put HID's into a housing that does not have a beam cutoff. Cops will pull you over if they want to. But cars that have a housing that directs light good can pull off the aftermarket HID kits that are not DOT approved. They just roll the dice.