Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Enable TMC and RDS reception in US MMCS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 03:11 AM
Default RE: Enable TMC and RDS reception in US MMCS?

Thanks for the screencap jsrd. It's good we actually have a confirmation screen. I just hope that's all we need to activate the TMC feature.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:09 AM

ORIGINAL: rcpax

@jsrd: Let's continue the discussion here. Do you know the socket # where Connector 6 (TMC cable) goes into? does it connect to the MMCS directly?
here's the same picture of the mmcs, but the US version uses a different antenna with only one lead.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:39 PM

Name:  DSC00886s.jpg
Views: 2645
Size:  43.9 KB

Looks like the 2 sockets where the Euro TMC cable is suppose to go are non-existent in the US MMCS (in red). Does anybody know what goes into the round port (green box)?

Old 12-22-2008, 05:58 PM

Bad news rcpax, so, TCM and RDS not be able to be enabled in our MMCS . The port that you mention is to connect the adapter for the iPod. . .

Old 12-22-2008, 07:35 PM

Maybe we can directly solder the leads of the TMC cable to the PCB. It's actually easy to solder. I think the challenge is where to get the cables, and also if we can figure out where the "other" wire from the GPS antenna go into. And the last hurdle is if it's possible to program the ETACS to enable the TMC feature.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:16 AM

Hey rcpax, in view of your find in the back side of the MMCS, I believe complex that we could enable these functions in ours equipments, I hope that more information flows to have the certainty of this can work [sm=smiley2.gif]

Old 12-23-2008, 01:38 AM

hi everybody

i'm also deeply interested in enabling rds feature in my mmcs. please see a screenshot taken from service manual, i hope it will help. i'm not sure if it also refers to rds, i think that rds signal is picked up with fm signal and then decoded in radio receiver. taking under consideration that us and eu mmcs are identical (?) question is what to enable it? is decoding taking place in build-in chip (radio processor) or it is provided by software (loading.kwi)? any ideas?

cheers

[IMG]local://upfiles/17048/41B5F507634D4ACE89D6152BE9412785.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-23-2008, 01:41 AM

unless tcm is something different than tmc... i can't find anything else in etacs coding table

Old 12-23-2008, 02:27 AM

Thanks for bringing that up. I think TCM and TMC are both different things altogether.

A good backgrounder I found: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_Message_Channel. So it looks like the TMC signals can be broadcasted both from FM-RDS and Satellite, which would explain why there are two cables from the EU SAT Ant, and then there is another TMC cable in addition (Cable #6), which is I think for FM-RDS reception.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:35 AM

i could be wrong but i think that rds signal is a part of radio station fm signal and as such is received via ordinary antenna and then decoded.

Quick Reply: Enable TMC and RDS reception in US MMCS?