Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

EPB - How do I put in Sevice Mode after removing one caliper?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2024, 12:25 PM
Default EPB - How do I put in Sevice Mode after removing one caliper?

I messed up yesterday. Started to change the rear brakes on 2019 Outlander and a couple mins after taking the caliper off I remembered that I’d forgotten to put the thing into service mode.

I tried doing the 9v battery trick and it works but I can’t tell which way the piston is moving or when I connect to the battery. I knew not to force the piston back in.

I don’t know what my next steps are. Is the 9v battery trick my only option to get the motor retracted so I can push the piston in?

If I can’t tell which way the motor is moving with the 9v, does that mean I’ve somehow screwed the caliper up and need a new one?

Once I get the piston in and the car back together, am I going to be able to reset everything or is it still going to need the dealership to clear out codes and reset?

One stupid mistake turned a simple job into a PIA. 🤬

thanks

Old 05-06-2024, 06:11 AM

I've read a lot about the EPB, however I cant help you with the service mode butI really dont think that you need to go into this mode . I think that its when you are entering in the mode that one can screw up everything.

I would start by disconnecting the car battery so you wont talk to the car

When you use your 9v batt at the caliper you either see the piston coming out or not.If he is coming out reverse the polarity. The piston wont go in by itself. After a certain time the sound should change you would be able to push the piston in like before .... reconnect the car battery only when you are all done . That should work, let us know

Last edited by Homer1959; 05-06-2024 at 06:14 AM.