Mitsubishi Eclipse & Eclipse Spyder For years, the Eclipse line has stood for cutting edge styling and performance at an affordable price.

Caliper sticking, 97 eclipse GS

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 06:10 PM
Default Caliper sticking, 97 eclipse GS

Hello everyone. I've been battling this caliper for over a month now, and I'm stumped at what is going on. The front passenger caliper sticks everytime I take the car out for a drive. First sign was the back passenger, front driver and front passenger all sticking at different times. Those were changed also.
I have changed the caliper 4 times on passenger side(within a month), the hose 2 times(within a month), and a new master cylinder about a month ago. Everything seemed fine until my wife and I changed our brake pads before driving from NC to FL about 3 weeks ago.
We made it maybe 10miles before the caliper started sticking again! But we drove anyway, taking the tire off every time and c-clamping the caliper back open every time it stuck. While in FL we replaced the caliper, again, and drove it for 2 days and everything seemed well. On the way back home a week later, the caliper started sticking again. I noticed that if I cracked the bleeder the caliper would unstick, so that made our drive home a bit better. Since we suspected a pressure issue, again, we replaced the brake hose when we got back to NC. And of course, the caliper still sticks.
I literally cannot think of anything that would cause this one caliper to keep sticking no matter what.
Is it possible there is a clog somewhere? Is the metal line that hose connects to kinked(possible?)?
Don't know much about cars but I'm up for anything, and running out of money .
Thanks.
-Sean

I'd like to add that when installing the brake hose, I may of twisted it a bit much. I started at the metal hose fitting, and hard to force twist it to the caliper, kind of hard, maybe I kinked it?

Last edited by SKHafford; 12-26-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:40 PM

it's unlikely you kinked it shut, and if it doesn't leak should be ok. air can hide in an abs system, so i would suggest having the system bled by a professional brake guy, since you tried everything else more than once. do the wear compensating pins the caliper bolts to slide freely? if not, they could easily kink the puck making it stick. they must slide smoothly with little resistance. i always clean and grease them when i do my '04 spyder. that's all i got. good luck

Old 03-09-2014, 11:53 PM

holy ****. Im in the wrong business. I should be selling carparts to yanks. What is that, 12 calipers and associated gear, without having ever diagnosed the problem!!? ****!
My first thought is a sticking valve, then maybe airlock.

But seriously. Wtf??

Old 03-10-2014, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by SKHafford
but I'm up for anything, and running out of money .
Thanks.
-Sean
A foole & his money,
be soone at debate:
which after with sorow,
repents him to late.