Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Fan sound or something! Help Please!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 03:37 PM
Default Fan sound or something! Help Please!!

My wife drives a 2003 outlander.

In the last 2 weeks, we have noticed something unusual. After turning off the car’s engine, a sound like the fan runs from about 3 to 10 seconds.

This never happened in the time we bought the outlander till now.

We brought it to the dealer and they said they could not reproduce it even after letting it run and heating the engine - even though it happens each time we drive the car. Sure enough, we drove it home and no noise. The next day, it returned.

The dealer says it could be normal for this to happen???? I asked why it hadn’t done it in all the previous months.

Now, I can’t tell, but it even seems to be doing this while the engine is running now.
I haven’t noticed the temp gauge getting beyond normal running temp.

I don’t know much about cars, but any ideas or help would be appreciated?

Old 06-21-2004, 03:51 PM
Default RE: Fan sound or something! Help Please!!

Where is the sound coming from... I dont know much about the outlander. Is it the engine fan? (not sure if they had electrics) or is it the blower motor? or somewhere else?

Old 06-21-2004, 04:29 PM

I'll check tonight and try to isolated the locationand post , but it really sounds like the fan in the front of the engine.

Old 06-21-2004, 05:02 PM

And it stops on its own accord? then whats the problem... If it only runs for 10 min. as long as it doesnt run your batttery down.

Old 06-21-2004, 07:17 PM

I guess the problem is this: Something has changed as we have driven this thing for over 16 months and this has not occurred. My fear is that this problem will continue to grow until substaintial damage is done to the engine. Finally, when warranty ends, the damage repair cost will come from my wallet.

Old 06-22-2004, 10:16 AM

is it the electric fan though? my friends 2000 blazer did the same thing. they just said the engine was a little too hot and the computer told it to cool down for a few extra minutes. later we found out the thermostat was bad. but it was starting to get into fall, so we wernt sure if it was a related issue. Couldnt hurt to check the thermostat though.