Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2020, 07:14 PM
Default Fog lights

Thinking about adding some LED fog lamps to my 2010 Mitsubishi Outlander ES. It has the covers where the lights should go. It does not have an on off switch since there aren't any pre-installed. Will I need to add a separate switch for them? If so, should it go in the left part of dash where ASC button is because that is the only slot used.

Old 05-19-2020, 04:24 PM

Normally, the fog lamps on the Outlander are switched on/off by rotating a ring on the signal lever.
First rotation switches on the font fog lights, the second rotation the rear fog lamp. Rotating backwards switches them off.
Here's a video showing how: youtube.com/watch?v=_fgwtf4kt0I
The contact is momentary, so it only engages a relay, it doesn't stay connected.

If you wish to wire it up the 'factory way', you'll have to check if you have the fog lamp wires and connectors behind your bumper (you probably do), then check if you have all the fuses and relays of this circuit and then you probably have to activate the front fog lamp function in the ETACS ecu. For this, you need to go to the dealer or find a garage/someone who has a Mitsubishi ETACS ecu diagnose tool.

If this is complicated, then a switch+relay+fuse+wires will do the job. There are aftermarket switches on ebay/aliexpress labeled 'LED OFF' / 'Lights' / 'DRL' / 'Lightbar' which fit perfectly in the unused slots near the ASC button.

If you intend to use these lights as DRL's, then you don't even need a switch, only a DRL module which turns them on/off and dims them when headlights are on.

There are also combined fog+drl lamps, with two different circuits and optics in the same lamp. Search for Osram LEDriving Fog 101, but there are also, cheaper clones on the market.

Old 05-19-2020, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Extremero
Normally, the fog lamps on the Outlander are switched on/off by rotating a ring on the signal lever.
First rotation switches on the font fog lights, the second rotation the rear fog lamp. Rotating backwards switches them off.
Here's a video showing how: youtube.com/watch?v=_fgwtf4kt0I
The contact is momentary, so it only engages a relay, it doesn't stay connected.

If you wish to wire it up the 'factory way', you'll have to check if you have the fog lamp wires and connectors behind your bumper (you probably do), then check if you have all the fuses and relays of this circuit and then you probably have to activate the front fog lamp function in the ETACS ecu. For this, you need to go to the dealer or find a garage/someone who has a Mitsubishi ETACS ecu diagnose tool.

If this is complicated, then a switch+relay+fuse+wires will do the job. There are aftermarket switches on ebay/aliexpress labeled 'LED OFF' / 'Lights' / 'DRL' / 'Lightbar' which fit perfectly in the unused slots near the ASC button.

If you intend to use these lights as DRL's, then you don't even need a switch, only a DRL module which turns them on/off and dims them when headlights are on.

There are also combined fog+drl lamps, with two different circuits and optics in the same lamp. Search for Osram LEDriving Fog 101, but there are also, cheaper clones on the market.
Thanks so much. I will check it out tomorrow. I'm pretty sure I have seen the harness behind the grill. Not sure about the relays. I wish it was just plug and go but I have never noticed an on/off switch on signal lever. If I have to add one maybe it will be fairly simple.