Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Frustrated at engineers

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by rcpax
1. The Outlander is the best value for money in its segment- but you can't have everything, and more importantly, not all people would like the way you'd want your car configured.

2. Mitsubishi has always been focused on "sportiness" of their product, even for a crossover, or even for their electric vehicles. Motorsports has always been in the heart of Mitsubishi, and it transcends into their products. If fuel economy is your thing, you should have probably looked at Honda or Toyota.
I don't agree with the fuel economy statement. They sell the Outlander in Europe with a 2.0 diesel engine, and I understand a manual transmission is even available in some markets. Obviously, with the diesel engine option they're considering fuel economy, but somewhere along the line, it was "determined" that Americans only wanted big, powerful engines, fuel economy be damned.

Thus, America gets hardly any of the diesel engines offered elsewhere in the world, nor do we get the manual transmissions. A few years ago, I was shocked that when I rented a car in Spain it had a manual transmission. Manuals in America have something like 5 percent of the market.

I recently bought a used 07 Outlander XLS because I couldn't find a used 4 cylinder anywhere near me. I wish I could have, because I find the V6's gas mileage pretty unimpressive. At about 22 mpg in mixed highway/city driving, it barely surpasses my 1996 Jeep Cherokee with a 4.0 I6 and manual transmission. I'm hoping the mileage improves a bit with the warmer weather.

Love the car otherwise, though, but if Mitsu offered the diesel and/or manual in the States, I'd buy it. The V6 is going to suck when gas hits $4/gallon again.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:16 AM

the PSA/VW diesels in the Outlander are "too dirty" for North America, and require expensive addons to make them meet emissions standards. Likewise, its not worth supporting standard transmissions, as barely anybody buys them in North America.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by ivanz
the PSA/VW diesels in the Outlander are "too dirty" for North America, and require expensive addons to make them meet emissions standards. Likewise, its not worth supporting standard transmissions, as barely anybody buys them in North America.

Yeah, but VW is one of the biggest sellers of diesels in the U.S., so there must be an easy solution to that.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by dodo2
Yeah, please do so. It must be different though becasue I asked the parts guy at my dealership fro teh price of the 07-09 photo sensor and it was some $40 Canadian Dollars. It must be different, but worth checking.
Has anyone installed auto lights or wipers in an 07 outlander yet?

Old 03-11-2014, 05:12 PM

bummed it doesn't have memory seats or mirrors and I dislike the location of the heated seat switch. Other than that me and my wife both love our 2010 GT.