Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Fuel door won't open without coaxing

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 12:19 AM
Default Fuel door won't open without coaxing

Last week I noticed that when I pulled the handle to release the fuel door in my 04 Outlander that the door barely opened. I had a hard time opening it up so I could gas up. It's cold out, figured maybe it was stiff or frozen. Today I was in a rush to pick up my wife at work, but the gas tank was really low so I decided to stop in and throw a few bucks worth into the tank. As I got out of the car I hit the release on the floor and walked to the gas door. It was shut. Tried again. Same result. There was no way to get it open, and no one around to help, so I had to drive back home and get my other car. This evening I took a look at it at home. I had the same result, so I lifted the release lever and wedged my flashlight under it. I slipped a knife into the fuel door seam, and it opened easily. Is there a spring or something that's supposed to pop the door open when you pull the release? It was too cold (15 degrees F) and dark to spend much time on it. I just drove to the gas station and filled it up while the door was open. I'll take a look tomorrow, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for. If there is a spring, where would it be? Or is there something else that causes the door to pop open?
Thanks!

Old 02-21-2013, 01:43 AM

I'd try a little grease on the lock mechanism before searching for a spring...

I know in my Audi the gas door was secured by an electric actuator/piston/ram that would retract, and it would pop open.