Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

heat shield issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 07:19 AM
Default heat shield issue

Hey all,

I think I already know this, but any heat shield work would fall under the basic warranty, not the powertrain warranty correct?

I am asking since I am assuming one of the shields is rattling like crazy, and I just got out of the basic warranty and only have the powertrain left.

I haven't crawled under to take a look yet, but just wanted to make sure whether this was or wasn't covered under a powertrain warranty.

thanks

Old 03-12-2013, 09:57 AM

I would think it would not be under power train since the common heat shield issue is on the exhaust system. Some have ripped the heat shield off. I've just took some steel wire and wire clamped it back together. sure it'll rust apart again...but now I have a spool of steel wire, and that's cheap.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by ccernst
I would think it would not be under power train since the common heat shield issue is on the exhaust system. Some have ripped the heat shield off. I've just took some steel wire and wire clamped it back together. sure it'll rust apart again...but now I have a spool of steel wire, and that's cheap.
When you say on the exhaust system, do you mean physically on the exhaust system? There is a shield that is clamped on a wider portion of the exhuast pipe close to middle of the car. It looks like the clamp is rusted and really not doing it's job anymore, so I am wondering if that is it.

Is the common one that rattles the one I am talking about?

Old 03-14-2013, 04:02 PM

yeah, that's the one I did.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by ccernst
yeah, that's the one I did.
I had a metal clamp lying around that was supposed to be for the dryer vent (the kind that you need a screwdriver to tighten or loosen it). I just threw that around everything, cinched it up, and no more hideous noise! Although I did bend the upper shield when I was tightening it enough to stop the lower one from making noise)..oh well...see what happens

Cheers!

Old 04-08-2014, 09:55 AM
Default Exhaust Heat Shield Warranty

Exhaust Heat Shield is excluded from 5 year warranty because it is an adjustment.

Here is from Mitsubishi Canada:
The warranty parameter offered on a exhaust heat shield is of 1 year/24 000 KM ( whichever occurs first).