Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Help with AWD's busy ride please

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 03:11 PM
Default Help with AWD's busy ride please

Hi all,

Just picked up an 04 awd outlander (replaced my 99 outback 5sp with leaky internal head gasket issue), and I'm pretty happy with the value, but the ride comfort isn't quite what i'm used to. The ride is very joncy/busy, seams to feel every road bump (i read that the FWD has a softer ride) and it seems too tiring for long drives (even on "smooth highways") the way it is now. Would have gotten the FWD, but wanted the better traction/grip. Maybe I'll get used to it, but it just seems silly to live with it. Ive had sportscars (87'M6, 300zxtt) that had firm suspensions but not a busy ride. This feels very similiar to the Vibe I rented. Anyway, if anyone has sugestions I'd appreciate it, new struts/shocks or springs? Was even wondering if I could swap out with the FWD setup, but the weight difference of the AWD might be a problem.

Thanks,
Cory

Old 01-05-2005, 03:20 PM
Default RE: Help with AWD's busy ride please

you could swap your awd for my fwd anyday, but being that is unlikely you are probably better off getting your tires rotated and balnced if they are not new. also i have heard of putting some off road hevy duty shocks on being they have less play than most other shocks

Old 01-05-2005, 03:33 PM

Shouldn't I need a softer strut/shock so the bonces get absorbed instead of transmitted to the whole body? Or maybe the shock is too weak for existing stiffer springs?

Old 01-05-2005, 03:38 PM

well a friend of mine had did the cheap route of lowering his car and just heated up the springs, well lets say at the end of the day it felt like we were off road on the highway. we went to a local parts store and they told us to put some off road shock and it did correct his problem. but really its up to you and who you thinks has a better opinion, so try to call up some local shops, and yes the fwd is smoother than the awd so how about a trade.

Old 01-05-2005, 06:53 PM

thanks for the advice outlancer (good screen name). I'll look into it (but probably won't do anything till summer). As far as a trade goes maybe if you have nice clean "low or normal" mileage 04 xls. Mine's very clean (red metalic/grey w/alloys and tint) 16k.

later,
cory

Old 01-05-2005, 06:58 PM

thats cool and thanx for the compliment on the screen name( it was the first thing i saw when i looked at the outlander, it looks like a big lancer) oh yeah and i have a real clean 03 xl, but i added the clear lights and 6 disc changer and will eventually add the roof racks. and as far as the mileage goes i have 15000 on an 03 u tell me if that is good. anyways talk to you laterz

Old 01-07-2005, 03:41 PM
JMC

I'm thinking....what's the point of getting the Outlander if it's not AWD?