Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Help with oil & filter change (2.0 DID Engine)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 07:51 AM
Default Help with oil & filter change (2.0 DID Engine)

Hi Guys,
Had a look under car and bonnet today to decide whether to do oil and filter change myself or take to dealer as usual.
Under the car in the undercover I could see a small "inspection" cover about 6 inch square held on with 3 bolts.Is the drain plug behind here?
Also can anyone tell me the socket size for the oil filter enclosure.It looks to be about 33mm.Has anyone done the change themselves who could confirm the size please?
Many thanks

Old 10-11-2011, 05:34 PM

Greetings Wiseowl;
On my two liter engine there's no covers over either the drain plug nor the oil filter. The drainplug size is 17mm, the oil filter is easily accessed at the front of the engine is a screw on filter removable with your hand or if too tight a filter wrench. It's important to use a new crush washer on the drain plug. Also for good lubrication fill the new filter with oil and don't forget to clean the filter seat on the engine block and smear some new oil on the filter gasket. Good luck, when you change your oil you are certain it's done right, not always the case at some shops.
Regards

Old 10-12-2011, 11:45 AM

Thanks for the reply Skoda.However I think we must be talking about different models though.
I should have said it`s a 2007 outlander elegance.The bottom of the engine is protected by a plastic cover and there is definately no access to the oil drain plug without removing at least part of it (I`m pretty sure it will be the small square with the three bolts i mentioned).)
As for the oil filter, although it is visible from above ,it is not really easily accessible.The plastic engine cover will have to be removed and there is a wire connector directly above that will need moving.
can anyone else offer any advise or help?
cheers