Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

HID Conversion DONE! (Pics and info)

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 02:20 PM

First off, thanks for the info on the Fogs, somehow i managed to make it work.

Second, yeah i have 55W hids, i love the output, but my light output has a clean cut that doesnt go above anyones license plate, unless they are driving an integra or another "short" car.. but besides that, its never been a problem to me when i drive behind someone. They never move out my way or anyhting. Thanks for the info, just making sure because i noticed it kinda foged up also when it rained.. not sure bc its obviously hotter in there than outside.. alright, thanks!

Originally Posted by MM3Canuck
First things first:
55 HID kits are NOT to be used in your reflective headlight housing on public roads. 55W HID kits are used for OFF-Roading only. They are way too bright, and will burn holes into peoples eyes that are oncoming. - Now this is my opinion, as I can't stand being blinded by some Yahoo, who has HIDs and has the beams aimed into the sky to navigate Aliens down to earth.

UNLESS, you have projectors, that will produce a clean cut, the increase in lumens will be directed onto the pavement, and not into drivers faces.

They will also burn much hotter, and are mostly meant for heavy duty PIAA or Hella housings that will withstand the heat generated.

FYI, 35W HID kits already produce 3 times the light (lumens) than your regular 55W Halogen bulb.

Back to your question, no, I have never heard of anyone's housing melting.
Put your Halogen bulb in there, and you'll notice how hot those get.
You are supposed to have some heat in there, otherwise you will notice icing issues in the winter time.
I owned a Mazda3 before (they come with Halogen Projectors) and I changed it to 35W HIDs. They barley de-iced while driving on the Hwy.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:26 PM

I was just wondering if you can replace the fog lights with HID lights? Plug and play if you will, or would you need something else to go with it for it to work.

Thanks

Old 09-08-2011, 11:46 AM

Well, there are two ways:

1) Most kits will come with a plug and play harness. The HID ballasts will draw power right from the Fog light plug.

2) You can get a relay kit, which will draw power directly from the battery, and you only use the Fog Light stock harness as a trigger (to turn the fogs ON and OFF)

I would recommend the relay kit option, currently I have option 1 running in my XLS, and once in a while I get flickering at start up. At my next opportunity, I will be changing it to the relay harness.

- If I’m not mistaken, you can even buy some sort of capacitor, that will plug right in-between the ballast and the OEM harness to prevent flickering.
Hope that helped

Originally Posted by BIGDYNASTY__
I was just wondering if you can replace the fog lights with HID lights? Plug and play if you will, or would you need something else to go with it for it to work.

Thanks

Last edited by MM3Canuck; 09-08-2011 at 11:51 AM.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:17 PM

Well, there are two ways:

1) Most kits will come with a plug and play harness. The HID ballasts will draw power right from the Fog light plug.

2) You can get a relay kit, which will draw power directly from the battery, and you only use the Fog Light stock harness as a trigger (to turn the fogs ON and OFF)

I would recommend the relay kit option, currently I have option 1 running in my XLS, and once in a while I get flickering at start up. At my next opportunity, I will be changing it to the relay harness.

- If I’m not mistaken, you can even buy some sort of capacitor, that will plug right in-between the ballast and the OEM harness to prevent flickering.
Hope that helped
Thanks for the information, helped me a lot. Do you by any chance know where to purchase the relay kit?

Old 09-09-2011, 08:42 AM

Thanks for the information, helped me a lot. Do you by any chance know where to purchase the relay kit?

Usually when you buy the HID kit the company/person selling the item will have relays. eBay is an option, so is your local Kijiji.
Get the capacitor. Much less work, wires and in my opinion cleaner. Easier to revert as well.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:09 AM

Usually when you buy the HID kit the company/person selling the item will have relays. eBay is an option, so is your local Kijiji.
Get the capacitor. Much less work, wires and in my opinion cleaner. Easier to revert as well.
Nice, I bought my low beams and fogs from DDMTuning and it came with the relays. Now I have to install them. Does anyone here have a write up to install fogs?

Old 09-10-2011, 08:37 AM

Nice, I bought my low beams and fogs from DDMTuning and it came with the relays. Now I have to install them. Does anyone here have a write up to install fogs?
I'm sure you can find a write up if you search this thread. But honestly, it is very very easy. Usually takes longes locating and mounting the ballasts in a good an stable place than anything else. Once you open the fog light you'll see how easy it is.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:53 AM

So when i wanted to install my hids for the fogs .. it gave me hell.

I eventually got it to work, but this is a short -cut with all the hassel i had, I suggest you remove your fogs, install the bulbs and wire the ballast directly onto your stock harness (without the relay).. Fire them up and see if they light up to check if you: have the right polarity & also connected everything right.

THEN you connect the relay and then connect it to your harness as a trigger to fire up the HIDS... this helped me a whole lot too:

Relay Installation Guide

Hope this all helps !

Old 09-15-2011, 09:22 PM

I just read a bit on this forum and i see that people are talking about relay. i installed my hid kit on my lancer without any relay. I ordered a 9006 and it works great with drl. I ordered the canbus ballast hid kit and its the only kit that work with DRL.
i got it from www.xenonhidconversionkit.com

Old 09-16-2011, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by willyly9191
I just read a bit on this forum and i see that people are talking about relay. i installed my hid kit on my lancer without any relay. I ordered a 9006 and it works great with drl. I ordered the canbus ballast hid kit and its the only kit that work with DRL.
i got it from www.xenonhidconversionkit.com
Thanks but in your Lancer, what are used as your DRL's?

Quick Reply: HID Conversion DONE! (Pics and info)