Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

HID Conversion - the RIGHT way with DRL

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by simonac
yeeeeee i just did this to my hid on my 08 outlander that i bought with hid instaled from the dealer ... theyre tech and instaler said that they done hundred of them and i have to drive with the light on all the time , so during the day time i could not see anything in my dash and radio they even sold it to me brand new with electrical tape on the light switch as a reminder to not turn off the hid cause they would start to flicker and burn the ballast or bulb. witch append about four time so far...(good tech and dealer) anyway sorry for the long post just venting ..lollll back onto the subject i did this mod this week end and everything work fine just like normal light on and off when needed and i can see my radio and cluster during the day lolll my car is ``alive`` lollllll and now taking it back to the dealer cause a bulb or ballast burnt again 2 week prior to me getting involved with the wirring... anyway thanks a lots and keep up the good work....
i'm glad it helped. i also was pissed of having HIDs on all the time during the day and possibility to kill ballast/relay if I forget to turn them on... too bad dealer/installers don't understand that and take the easiest cash grabbing way :-)

Old 10-18-2010, 09:56 AM

thanks again....i was waiting for something like that to come up and i was sure it would be something simple ,but it look like the dealer are just a bunch of !"/$%?&*( and now i have to get the two bulb or ballast change out cause one is burnt out and the other will shut off if i hit fairly good bump on the road...the good thing is that they will waranty the hid for ten years i got it on the contract but i still would prefer to have real expert work on my car. anyway thanks again keep up the good work serego and have a good day. Simon.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:15 PM
Default just finished this mod.

Mod turned out great. Great job OP for the info. I will post pictures later. Its kinda cold here in Tallahassee tonight :-)

Here are a few install notes:

-I purchased a Truss 6000K HID kit for 9006 vehicles from Amazon. Use what you want. I like Truss ballasts and have had good look with them. Set me back about $40 INCLUDING the bulbs.

-Purchased a 9006 HID relay harness for 12.99 with free shipping from Ebay user HIDDISTRIBUTOR Has a fuse and is preterminated correctly. I didn't like the ground harness connectors on each HID ballast plug but it actually makes it a better electrical design.

-Install takes about an hour to rout everything and do it right, mount the ballasts out of the way, etc. Swapping the pins on the plugs is a PITA because there is not alot of slack in the wiring. OP did good to get the pics he got. Its not that hard but it does take a few minutes to get to everything and get it undone, swapped, and reconnected.

-There is an unused lug on the back of the stock battery connector that you can connect the relay to. Mine did not have a nut but a 1/4 will do fine. This will allow you to connect it without anything showing. Looks really nice.

-Light output is very crisp. Cut-off is great. There is no glare or light output above the cut off point. Headlights could actually be aimed a bit higher because the cutoff is so good.

Only Negative:

-I HATE the color of the bulb difference between the HID's and the parking lamps that now serve DRL duty and run when the HID's are on. I hope to find some parking lamps with a closer color temperature. My original thought process was to use LED lighting for them but I am unsure if a 9v square wave signal to them would work. Does anyone know? Or...do you know of a parking lamp that will work with our Outie that is a more "white" and less yellow?

Old 12-13-2010, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by mahicks3322
Mod turned out great. Great job OP for the info. I will post pictures later. Its kinda cold here in Tallahassee tonight :-)

-I purchased a Truss 6000K HID kit for 9006 vehicles from Amazon. Use what you want. I like Truss ballasts and have had good look with them. Set me back about $40 INCLUDING the bulbs.

-Purchased a 9006 HID relay harness for 12.99 with free shipping from Ebay user HIDDISTRIBUTOR Has a fuse and is preterminated correctly. I didn't like the ground harness connectors on each HID ballast plug but it actually makes it a better electrical design.

-Install takes about an hour to rout everything and do it right, mount the ballasts out of the way, etc. Swapping the pins on the plugs is a PITA because there is not alot of slack in the wiring. OP did good to get the pics he got. Its not that hard but it does take a few minutes to get to everything and get it undone, swapped, and reconnected.

-There is an unused lug on the back of the stock battery connector that you can connect the relay to. Mine did not have a nut but a 1/4 will do fine. This will allow you to connect it without anything showing. Looks really nice.

-Light output is very crisp. Cut-off is great. There is no glare or light output above the cut off point. Headlights could actually be aimed a bit higher because the cutoff is so good.

Only Negative:

-I HATE the color of the bulb difference between the HID's and the parking lamps that now serve DRL duty and run when the HID's are on. I hope to find some parking lamps with a closer color temperature. My original thought process was to use LED lighting for them but I am unsure if a 9v square wave signal to them would work. Does anyone know? Or...do you know of a parking lamp that will work with our Outie that is a more "white" and less yellow?
Look forward to pics!

And even a DIY Write up if you can!

As for the DRL's, I've seen a few on here with LED's, and it would definitley work. Thast the only way to get close to the color temp of the HID's and you will get a complete match, There is no way to get that color temp with Halogens.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:45 PM

Is there any company out there that has all u need in the HID conversion? im looking for a aftermarket plug and play. Installers around here dont have a fix for properly installing a HID for the outlander, and i dont want them to mess things up.

Last edited by cheech; 12-13-2010 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by cheech
Is there any company out there that has all u need in the HID conversion? im looking for a aftermarket plug and play. Installers around here dont have a fix for properly installing a HID for the outlander, and i dont want them to mess things up.
order what i posted and do the mod at the begining of this thread and you will be fine. I ordered some LED's for the parking lamps tonight (so the DRL's and the new headlight will be a closer match in color) and will post pics of it all when finished. email or post if you have problems or questions in the meantime. $54 bucks out the door is not alot and it works as described. I could not be happier.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by ryandlor
Look forward to pics!

As for the DRL's, I've seen a few on here with LED's, and it would definitley work. Thast the only way to get close to the color temp of the HID's and you will get a complete match, There is no way to get that color temp with Halogens.
It's even colder here tonight so pics will have to wait. I will post them at the lastest on Weds. and try to do a write up for DIY install. I ordered a couple of "tower" style 194/2825 parking lamp LED's in super bright white and will let you know if they work and if they fit and add them to my DIY install post coming soon........

Old 12-19-2010, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by ryandlor
Look forward to pics!

Update: I bought multi LED wedge lights from JDMTOY that are daylight white for the parking lights. THEY WORK. With the DRL kicked in, brightness is about 80% with just a hint of "tremble" in the light output. You will not notice it until you turn on the lights/turn off DRL and then you will see the output be steady and supposed to a flourecent "flicker" The color of the bulbs stays the same at DRL and Full power. I drive about 500 miles a month mostly in the daytime so I will see how the longevity of the bulbs are in DRL. Right now I am VERY happy with the color and fit/function of the bulbs.

For those wanting to do the mod, the LEDs are a direct swap. To get to the passenger parking light plug, use a socket to remove the bolt that holds the windshield washer filler neck and move it out of your way. To get to the drivers plug, use the same socket to loosen 1 nut of the battery tie down bracket, then remove the bracket completely and move the battery back about 3 inches. Make sure to turn your lights on after installing the new LED light BEFORE YOU PUT IT BACK INTO THE HOUSING. If the lights don't work, take them out and rotate them 180 degrees to change the polarity.
Total time to install both bulbs was about 7 to 10 minutes, including remounting the battery tie down and the filler neck bolt.

DIY write up in the works. I will post pics tonight for all to see though.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:56 PM

Pics...diy!

Old 12-23-2010, 06:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mahicks3322

Only Negative:

Here is my setup with LED's.
https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/sh...ighlight=light

Quick Reply: HID Conversion - the RIGHT way with DRL