Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

HID Conversion - the RIGHT way with DRL

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 11:30 AM

Hello again, im sorry if this question has been asked but its been bugging me. I am interested in putting HID kit in my car. I am looking to buy a specific brand just because i have had them before and i am happy with the results. I am interested in buying the Philips HID kit. Here is my concern, the kit says it comes with a can/bus anti flicker system. what will happen to my 07 Outlander xls with drl's if i were to install the kit without doing any of the mods as described in this thread.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by cheech
Hello again, im sorry if this question has been asked but its been bugging me. I am interested in putting HID kit in my car. I am looking to buy a specific brand just because i have had them before and i am happy with the results. I am interested in buying the Philips HID kit. Here is my concern, the kit says it comes with a can/bus anti flicker system. what will happen to my 07 Outlander xls with drl's if i were to install the kit without doing any of the mods as described in this thread.
Good question. I never heard about HID canbus killer before. According to its description, it might actually work, but you will have to try and let us know. If it works, your HIDs will be *on* once the car is started(=DRLs on). I would still do my mod, since I needed a way to manually turn HIDs on/off - I did not want them to run all the time.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by serego
Good question. I never heard about HID canbus killer before. According to its description, it might actually work, but you will have to try and let us know. If it works, your HIDs will be *on* once the car is started(=DRLs on). I would still do my mod, since I needed a way to manually turn HIDs on/off - I did not want them to run all the time.
will do, and will post back the results but some time in February. Christmas kinda wiped me out of some funds lol.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:57 PM

They call them "canbus killer"? If you kill the CAN Bus, your car will not work at all...since it controls everything in the car.
From what I have read, those are only to make sure a "light out" warning doesn't come on on the dashboard. Only a few cars have this.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by ivanz
They call them "canbus killer"? If you kill the CAN Bus, your car will not work at all...since it controls everything in the car.
From what I have read, those are only to make sure a "light out" warning doesn't come on on the dashboard. Only a few cars have this.
here is the link, they call it the canbus anti flicker system, I'm assuming its so the light don't flicker do to the difference in power from the drl's and full headlights.

http://www.philipsxenon.com/mitsubis...ips-hid-p-1234

Old 12-28-2010, 02:11 PM

Ah ok, I guess it does both things. I dont see how the ballasts are connected in any way to the CAN Bus on the Outlander...it seems more like a marketing term than actually having anything to do with the CAN Bus. Unless it actually depends on a CAN Bus signal to tell the ballasts that the DRLs are on. I believe some high end BMWs have this sort of functionality, but the Outlander does not.

I'm thinking that's just a built in capacitor to smooth out the current to prevent flicker,and nothing as complicated as it implies.

Old 12-28-2010, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by ivanz
Ah ok, I guess it does both things. I dont see how the ballasts are connected in any way to the CAN Bus on the Outlander...it seems more like a marketing term than actually having anything to do with the CAN Bus. Unless it actually depends on a CAN Bus signal to tell the ballasts that the DRLs are on. I believe some high end BMWs have this sort of functionality, but the Outlander does not.

I'm thinking that's just a built in capacitor to smooth out the current to prevent flicker,and nothing as complicated as it implies.
what ever the case may be, this is the system i am picking up. an will post results when i have them and how they work.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:00 PM

Serego,... I try and it didn't work at all. I thought it was a good way to do it and great idea but unfortunately, it just not work, Igniter didn't work.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Mitsu28
Serego,... I try and it didn't work at all. I thought it was a good way to do it and great idea but unfortunately, it just not work, Igniter didn't work.
please explain?

Old 02-08-2011, 06:25 PM

UPdate if anyone cares, lol. i just recently purchased a Genuine Philips HID conversion kit. It has a CAN/BUS in it ( again what ever that means ) and i will have it installed in a few weeks. things are a tad tight right now, will post pics and update in future.

Quick Reply: HID Conversion - the RIGHT way with DRL