Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

How To Change Alternator on 2007 Outlander 3.0 V6 - Need Info ASAP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 07:38 PM
Exclamation How To Change Alternator on 2007 Outlander 3.0 V6 - Need Info ASAP!

Howdy y'all,

So the alternator decided to go belly up on my 2007 Outlander LS 4WD this morning, after about two weeks of hinting at potential failure.

I have no desire to spend $500 at a shop to replace it, I found a new Duralast one from Autozone for $146.99.

Here's my problem... I literally cannot find a tutorial on how to go about removing the serpentine belt so I can pull my bad alternator and swap in my new one.

Nada. Zero. ZILCH.

I have found tons of how-to videos on the 2.4L 4 cylinder, but not a SINGLE video on how to do this on the 3.0 DOHC V6. In fact, there are very few videos on how to work on the 3.0 V6 motor period... it's kind of strange, considering how popular these vehicles are, that no one seems to work on them.

Anyways, if y'all could tell me how to go about this, I'd greatly appreciate it. I really need to get this done by tomorrow night, because I was planning on going on a camping trip on Thursday morning, and my mechanic isn't free until Thursday night to work on it...

Thanks!!!

Thanks!!!

Old 06-16-2015, 09:27 PM

Do yourself a favor and buy the genuine mitsubishi service CD on ebay. I paid like $20 for it.
<<A>> GENERATOR DRIVE BELT REMOVAL
CAUTION

When the generator drive belt is reused, draw an arrow indicating the rotating direction on the back of the belt using chalk to install the same direction.
1.Turn the drive belt auto-tensioner to counterclockwise, and insert the L-shaped hexagon wrench to the auto-tensioner hole in order to fix the auto-tensioner.
2.Remove the generator drive belt.
The generator(alternator) appears to be on it's own drive belt, therefore it's not a serpentine, just straight to the crank pulley with a tensioner in the middle. The belt appears to be very short, at the very bottom of the engine. Turn the auto tensioner, then shove an allen key in the hole to hold it in place. It doesn't say what socket is used to turn the tensioner, some tensioners don't take a socket. You just stick probably a 1/2" or 3/8" rachet straight into the tensioner with no socket. On my friends jetta, it was just a square peice that stuck straight up, you had to use an adjustable wrench to attach to the square end and turn.

Last edited by gggplaya; 06-16-2015 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:29 PM
Default To get more wiggle room

Remove the engine bracket bolts and jack up the engine about an inch for more clearance. Also remove the water resevoir for more arm space.