Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Information about the maintenance of the Outlander CVT (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2020, 06:29 AM

It looks like the job of changing the transmission filter is a lot easier on the newer models,which gives the dealers no excuse for not changing it
In the older models the dealership actually denied any existence of the Outlander even having a filter. I hope the new models CVT is quieter than ours because ours is definitely noisy. I told them that I would not buy another CVT if this wasn’t resolved.
Thanks for your post you did a great job!

Old 08-01-2020, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Hodado
It looks like the job of changing the transmission filter is a lot easier on the newer models,which gives the dealers no excuse for not changing it
In the older models the dealership actually denied any existence of the Outlander even having a filter. I hope the new models CVT is quieter than ours because ours is definitely noisy. I told them that I would not buy another CVT if this wasn’t resolved.
Thanks for your post you did a great job!
Mine has been extremely quiet so far. I remember driving the generation of Outlander that you own and the 2019 is a very different animal. Give one a test drive when you have a little spare time.

Old 08-05-2020, 03:56 AM

On January 22, 2020, I took my car to your service department for servicing (oil change). During my
visit, your service tech approach me and stated that I needed some other services, transmission fluid
exchange, replace oil pan gasket, and a set of tires to keep their vehicle in proper working condition. I
trusted his recommendation and allow services to be completed. My car had to stay overnight. Shortly
after picking it up the next day, everything appeared ok, but less than 24 hour later, my transmission
started slipping badly. I immediately contact the service department and was asked to bring for a
diagnosis. I was told that I need a new transmission.

Could this have been the issue that the dealership didn't know correct way to change?

Old 08-05-2020, 07:21 AM

So if this incident happened 7 months ago how did you end up? Were you charged by the dealership for their error?

Old 12-20-2021, 11:49 AM

I did the 60K service on my 2019 Outlander a while back and forgot to update this. Scroll back up for my 30K trans service update where I replaced the cartridge filter only, as I won't cover that here even though I changed it as well. For this service, I did the cartridge filter, primary trans. filter, and 2 fluid drain/fills.

It's really simple to do even if you've never done an auto trans before. The service procedure is the same. Drain the transmission fluid, then remove the pan (I recommend measuring how much fluid you drain out, and how much comes out of the filter, so you can add the correct amount back in when done). Everything is easy to get to with the front wheels up on ramps. The main trans filter is held in with 3 bolts; remove them then pull down on the filter to remove it. Make sure the o-ring stays on the filter and doesn't get left in the trans.

Trans pan removed, original filter still in place:
Name:  4uci7bk.jpg
Views: 1040
Size:  2.16 MB

Trans. filter removed:
Name:  UoyJLEt.jpg
Views: 1042
Size:  2.59 MB

This is the screen in the factory trans. filter. It was extremely clean and probably didn't need to be changed:
Name:  4sKfVti.jpg
Views: 1046
Size:  1.43 MB

There are 5 magnets in the trans pan to pick up metal shavings. I was very pleased with how clean the pan and magnets were after 60K miles:
Name:  3tptMIE.jpg
Views: 1036
Size:  970.0 KB

The pan after cleaning:
Name:  ryDONCc.jpg
Views: 1041
Size:  836.3 KB

Put a light coat of trans. fluid on the o-ring of the new trans. filter and install. I re-used the factory pan gasket and have had no leaks in ~3K miles. Add the correct amount of trans fluid. I put about 100 miles on it and did a second drain & fill. These are the parts I used, plus about 9 quarts total of Mitsubishi J4 fluid. *I actually did not need the o-ring pictured below but bought it as it was called out by Mitsubishi*
Name:  Ec0km90.jpg
Views: 1055
Size:  2.09 MB

Last edited by sock puppet; 12-29-2021 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07-17-2022, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by sock puppet
I did the 60K service on my 2019 Outlander a while back and forgot to update this. Scroll back up for my 30K trans service update where I replaced the cartridge filter only, as I won't cover that here even though I changed it as well. For this service, I did the cartridge filter, primary trans. filter, and 2 fluid drain/fills.

It's really simple to do even if you've never done an auto trans before. The service procedure is the same. Drain the transmission fluid, then remove the pan (I recommend measuring how much fluid you drain out, and how much comes out of the filter, so you can add the correct amount back in when done). Everything is easy to get to with the front wheels up on ramps. The main trans filter is held in with 3 bolts; remove them then pull down on the filter to remove it. Make sure the o-ring stays on the filter and doesn't get left in the trans.

Trans pan removed, original filter still in place:

Trans. filter removed:

This is the screen in the factory trans. filter. It was extremely clean and probably didn't need to be changed:

There are 5 magnets in the trans pan to pick up metal shavings. I was very pleased with how clean the pan and magnets were after 60K miles:

The pan after cleaning:

Put a light coat of trans. fluid on the o-ring of the new trans. filter and install. I re-used the factory pan gasket and have had no leaks in ~3K miles. Add the correct amount of trans fluid. I put about 100 miles on it and did a second drain & fill. These are the parts I used, plus about 9 quarts total of Mitsubishi J4 fluid. *I actually did not need the o-ring pictured below but bought it as it was called out by Mitsubishi*
Know if it’s possible to just change the CVT filter. Dealer just flushed my CVT, but I think I’ll try and change the filter. Know how much fluid my come out? I have a 2016 Outlander with 90,000 miles.