Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Just got the car, couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 10:42 AM
Default Just got the car, couple of questions

Hey all, I just picked up an 08 Outlander ES with 47k on the clock three days ago and I've just moved to Dallas from the UK so I'm perhaps a little dense when it comes to finding things online since I have no idea where anything is, but I do have a few questions

First up, keys -

We've only been given one. Dealer quotes 305 for a new one and to code it. Any other way around this? Or slightly cheaper? (As in, No you don't need a second key even though the manual says it, go here to get a blank, get it cut and code yourself?)

Second, CVT Service interval -

We've put the car in to Mitsi for some warranty work on the rear door as the window has dropped a bit. But they've inspected the CVT fluid at 47k and said it needs changing which, I'm a little shocked about. I was under the impression that the CVT interval was at 100k miles. Is this the infamous dealer fobbing off, or am I really in for a shock? (Never worked on CVT's or Auto gearboxes for that matter)

Third - Cheap place to get a battery? Maybe online order? Dealer said the one we had was weak but, 200 cold crank when it's been on the ramp for X amount of time is making me think that a good run will sort it out. Starts perfectly fine anyway. But, if anyone knows any, that'd be great

Fourth and final - how do you guys like them? Anything I should watch our for and are there any 'you gotta go this' modifications that almost everyone does to the cars?

Other than that, thanks for your help!

Last edited by Growl; 09-21-2012 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Forgot something. Good at this aren't I?
Old 09-21-2012, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Growl
Hey all, I just picked up an 08 Outlander ES with 47k on the clock three days ago and I've just moved to Dallas from the UK so I'm perhaps a little dense when it comes to finding things online since I have no idea where anything is, but I do have a few questions

First up, keys -

We've only been given one. Dealer quotes 305 for a new one and to code it. Any other way around this? Or slightly cheaper? (As in, No you don't need a second key even though the manual says it, go here to get a blank, get it cut and code yourself?)

Second, CVT Service interval -

We've put the car in to Mitsi for some warranty work on the rear door as the window has dropped a bit. But they've inspected the CVT fluid at 47k and said it needs changing which, I'm a little shocked about. I was under the impression that the CVT interval was at 100k miles. Is this the infamous dealer fobbing off, or am I really in for a shock? (Never worked on CVT's or Auto gearboxes for that matter)

Third - Cheap place to get a battery? Maybe online order? Dealer said the one we had was weak but, 200 cold crank when it's been on the ramp for X amount of time is making me think that a good run will sort it out. Starts perfectly fine anyway. But, if anyone knows any, that'd be great

Fourth and final - how do you guys like them? Anything I should watch our for and are there any 'you gotta go this' modifications that almost everyone does to the cars?

Other than that, thanks for your help!
The CVT fluid should be changed around 60k miles but under severe schedule and alot of members here have been doing 30k miles. I am guessing it would cost around $200. You can get a battery from costco or walmart, just look up the book they have.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:36 PM

On the CVT fluid change, probably would not hurt to have the fluid changed. Dallas can get pretty warm out which might be considered 'extreme' conditions. To be on the safe side I would have it done.

As far as the battery goes, not a big fan of cheap. You're going to get what you pay for. In my opinion, find some extra money and get yourself an Optima battery. A Red Top should do the trick. Sure they cost a little more, but they will more than likely outlast any other lead acid battery you might be looking at. I had a Red Top in a previous vehicle for 10 years in extreme AZ heat and extreme CO cold with no issues. If you're okay with replacing a battery every few years and dealing with prorated warranties, then go with a lead acid battery. That's just my opinion though.

Things to watch out for?......keep your eye on wierd querky electrical issues. My girlfriend's '07 Eclipse has awkward electrical hiccups that happen from time to time. The keyless entry system seems to act up from time to time. The steering wheel controls for the radio seem to have a mind of their own sometimes. Just small things, not major issues. Since it's not my car, it doesn't bother me so much.

Old 09-22-2012, 01:23 AM

Thanks for the feedback all. We got the CVT fluid done at a cut price after complaining to the garage we got it from. Turns out it 'wasn't that bad' so the bill got knocked down even further.

OutlanderGT - I totally forgot about Walmart and Costco, I'll call for a few quotes. Thanks!

11SE2HEAR - I completely agree with you on getting a decent battery, I just resent being overcharged! Any particular places you might recommend to order one from? Oreillys had a few but I'm unfamiliar with the brands they offer.

Does anyone have any ideas about the keys at all?

Thanks!