Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Key Fob issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2023, 03:49 AM
Default Key Fob issues

Hi, I have a base model 2015 ZK Mitsubishi Outlander and I’m having an issue with one of my keys. It just suddenly started doing it one day, it does everything as per normal except crank the engine. So it unlocks the car, turns accessories on and when turned to start the engine, I can hear whirring (Fuel pump I’m guessing?) but there’s no cranking/firing at all. The other key I have works normally. Changed the battery and no difference. Tried the programming sequence (hold both buttons for 3 seconds until lights flash etc) but no change. Does anyone have any suggestions on what the issue is?

Old 06-06-2023, 04:08 AM

did the key ever fall apart? It sounds like the immobiliser chip is missing.. inside the case, in one corner is a small black chip that looks like this

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/29490099...hoCHL4QAvD_BwE

Old 06-06-2023, 07:27 AM

I did open the key to see what size battery it used, so maybe that is what happened? I didn’t notice any little black piece fall out, but I will have another look inside when I get time. It seems likely that this may be the problem. Do you know if I purchase a new chip if the key needs to be programmed again? I’m trying to avoid buying a whole new key if possible! Thanks for your input and advice! Very much appreciated!

Old 06-06-2023, 04:02 PM

If you have lost the chip you need a complete key. The chips (genuine) are not available separately. I cannot comment on aftermarket ones, or whether they work or not, as there are 2 types of immobilizer and the chips are different, although they look similar.

And it would need to be programmed to the car.

If you remember where you opened the key, then have a good look around. You might be lucky and find it

Old 06-06-2023, 05:37 PM

If you have a second working key, you can buy a virgin transponder off eBay and phone a good mobile key coder to program it outside your house.

If that was the only key you had and depending on who you get experience wise (very important) there is an option they use called All Keys Lost. This deletes all the recorded keys to your car and replaces them with a new one. Iv never had this done but the option exists, how reliable it is I can not vouch for!

However I have had an aftermarket transponder coded to my Outlander that starts my engine. However he failed to program the aftermarket remote that opens and closes the door which wasn't a problem as I only needed a spare in an emergency to start the engine and I would just open and
lock the door manually.

Iv also ordered keys from a BMW dealership in the past that failed to work with a past car. So how safe is a safe bet when comes to replacement keys is anyone's guess.

​​​​​​

Last edited by Mitsui567; 06-06-2023 at 06:08 PM.
Old 06-07-2023, 02:53 AM

I looked everywhere for the lost chip but it’s probably gone into a vacuum or the bin by now. I would have definitely picked it up and examined it if I’d seen it, but I could have fallen and bounced anywhere so I’ll have to kiss it goodbye. I do have a spare key (thank goodness!) so I am able to get the code for the same type of transponder chip from that key, non genuine will have to be the go it seems… then I will talk to someone about programming the new chip for the car. Worst thing that can happen is it doesn’t work, but at least this option won’t cost $200-$300 for a whole new key… it’s not urgent at any rate as I have the other key. Thanks again for the advice everyone!