Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Keyless Entry Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 09:27 PM
Default Keyless Entry Question

Greetings!

I currently drive a 2012 Outlander GT S-AWC (US-spec) and have a question regarding the keyless entry system. My question is whether or not the keyless entry system on the Outlander can be reprogrammed so that the driver's door will unlock automatically by attempting to open the driver's door with the key fob in proximity. My last Outlander had this function while my current Outlander does not. I can only lock the door by pushing the exterior lock button on the door. I was told the new Outlanders are not programmed to unlock unless the unlock button on the key fob is pressed.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:33 AM

The 2011 Canadian XLS does NOT have the sensor on the handle like my 2010 has. so I guess neither does the 2012.

Check the handle on the rear hatch.. If it is a rubber handle the the car does not have the handle sensors.

Old 12-27-2011, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Claude_A
The 2011 Canadian XLS does NOT have the sensor on the handle like my 2010 has. so I guess neither does the 2012.

Check the handle on the rear hatch.. If it is a rubber handle the the car does not have the handle sensors.
Claude,

Thanks for your response. If I am reading and understanding your response correctly, the 2012 Outlanders sold in the U.S. with the FAST Key option do have the sensor you speak of. These buttons can be found on the door handle of the driver's door, passenger side front door, and the rear hatch. Our GT has this feature (as did our 2008 XLS), however, we are not able to unlock the door by pressing the black rubber/plastic? button with our FAST Key remote within the designated operating proximity. We can only unlock our Outlander by pressing the unlock button on the FAST Key remote. We can, however, lock our Outlander by pressing the rubber/plastic button on the exterior door handle.

When I asked a service writer at our selling dealership about our inability to unlock our Outlander by pulling on the exterior door handle with the FAST Key fob in proximity, his response was that Mitsubishi changed this feature for safety reasons. I had hoped that I, or the selling dealer, could reprogram the vehicle to allow for us to use the black button to unlock the doors.

Thanks again for your response.

Best regards

Old 12-27-2011, 04:27 PM

I was not talking about the button on the outside of the handle but a metallic liner (antenna) on the inside of the door handle where your finger would fall when you grab the door handle.

The black button only LOCK the car.

Also on the hatch the push handle would be hard plastic with an antenna liner if you had it and softer rubber if you don't.

Last edited by Claude_A; 12-27-2011 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:55 PM

The sensor is inside the door handle, it is a touch sensor which is activated when you touch the inside door handle.
There may be a way to retrofit the senor again if they didn't change the door handle design (most likely they didn't). This is really disappointing, I hate those systems where you push the button to unlock.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:09 PM

Thanks for your responses and explanations. I understand what you're both referring. It's too bad Mitsubishi decided to do away with this feature. It was nice to be able to open a door of a locked car without having to fumble with a remote or keys. To me, this was the greatest benefit of this feature.

Ivanz,

I don't know whether or not I will look into retrofitting our Outlander with the aforementioned door handles. It sounds like a cool challenge. For now, my wife and I will have to enjoy the other features on our newest Outlander.

Best regards

Last edited by BlueMitsu; 12-27-2011 at 09:16 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:29 PM

It is our favorite feature on the vehicle. I only wish it was on the two rear doors. I guess the two fronts and the tailgate are better than nothing.