Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

LED DRLs

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 07:24 AM

I will check if I still have a pics.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:06 PM

Didn't you swap the regular DRL bulbs with LED bulbs? What happened to those?

Old 11-13-2012, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Phatty McPatty
Didn't you swap the regular DRL bulbs with LED bulbs? What happened to those?
Before switching to LED strips, I used to have 5 different bulbs in DRLs.

Stock "Boring Yellow":

LED #1 "Useless crap":

LED #2 "Long live the Cree":

They were quite nice but overheating in 5 minutes and had failed soon.

35W 1156 Halogen Bulb "Perfect for side lighting":

I will put them back once my AFS is ready.

LED #3 5050-based "Not every LED is created equal":

Last edited by Vadimus; 11-13-2012 at 06:35 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:17 AM

Where did you buy the LED strip from, and what type did you use?

Old 12-02-2012, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Ceram
Where did you buy the LED strip from, and what type did you use?
Aliexpress, side glow waterproof LED strips.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:05 AM
Default My DRLs

I used those type of LEDs before, and they burned out rather quickly

so, I am trying a different look now. So far so good.

This picture was taken before I blacked out my Front emblem, Fog Bezels and chrome around grill.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:31 PM

Hey Vadimus, you've pretty much answered all my questions by trying out all those bulbs. Like you determined, I don't think thats the way to go. I love what you did to the headlights. Here's something I was planning on trying. Going to pick up these lights from ebay......

Euro 7 LED Daytime Running Light DRL Daylight Kit Fog Lamp Day Lights SmartMini | eBay

and placing them in the vents below the fog lights. There is a company that sells them, but pricing is out to lunch. $455 for the kit from them. Here's a pic from their site...

http://www.sigmaautomotive.com/light...2601004mt2.jpg

What is everyone's opinion?

Old 02-04-2013, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Young James
Hey Vadimus, you've pretty much answered all my questions by trying out all those bulbs. Like you determined, I don't think thats the way to go. I love what you did to the headlights. Here's something I was planning on trying. Going to pick up these lights from ebay......
and placing them in the vents below the fog lights.

There is a company that sells them, but pricing is out to lunch. $455 for the kit from them. Here's a pic from their site...
http://www.sigmaautomotive.com/light...2601004mt2.jpg
What is everyone's opinion?
As usual, you get what you pay for. There is a reason the (name brand/real) dedicated LED DRLs are expensive -- it takes a lot of engineering and top quality components to make legal LED DRLs that conform with the design, construction, performance and durability requirements contained in SAE J2087 (US) and/or ECE R87 (EU and the rest of the world) -- IOW, works well and lasts an acceptably long time. "ZEEZ LED" appears to offer non-certified/non-approved generic LED toys that aren't legal to install on a road-going vehicle.

The Rostra DRLs offered by Sigma Automotive (bottom of page) aren't made specifically for the Outlander -- Sigma has just mounted one of Rostra's universal fitting LED bars (model # 260-1004-UNI-M) in the vents. To save money, I guess you can buy the LED bars ($355) and try to mount them yourself. I'm assuming the $100 markup is to get the LED bars pre-mounted in the bezels. Anyway, I have no direct info on the quality or compliance of this set, but the maker has a long and good track record in vehicle accessories (cruise controls, etc).

If you're looking for legal, high-quality LED DRL add-ons manufactured by legitimate automotive lighting companies, consider HELLA or Philips. HELLA offers a half-dozen LED DRL 'flavors' to suit your aesthetic preferences. They even offer round DRLs that are sized and shaped to fit into the round fog light openings, which may work for Outlander's without fog lights. The Philips Daylight DRLs have dual-intensity settings (bright for daytime DRL mode, dim for nighttime parking lamp mode). I think Cibie also offers round LED DRLs too, but in typical Cibie fashion, they're impossible to find. All of these products meet both the US and European technical standards.

Of course, the cheapest and easiest way to add DRL functionality (and all of the benefits therein) is to add a logic module that operates your front turn signals full-time (except when they are blinking as signals). Turn signals meet or exceed all DRL output requirements, plus they're amber, which is more conspicuous in daylight than bluish-white LEDs. They're offered for a reasonable price here.

Attached Thumbnails LED DRLs-turnsigdrlss.jpg  

Last edited by Phatty McPatty; 03-06-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:26 PM

great info! I kinda figured ebay would be the "cheap - get what you pay for" kind of deal, especially when it comes to LED's. I may end up picking up something like it for test/see how it looks anyways. I'm on the fence about it, so might have to try it to make up my mind