Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

loud clicking sound when pressing brake in P

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 11:00 AM
Default RE: loud clicking sound when pressing brake in P

My mistake....you are correct. When I got in the Outie this morning I verified. It will NOT lock automatically...but will unlock when put in park.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:52 AM
Default RE: loud clicking sound when pressing brake in P

did you pay for that fix ?
mine do that too

Old 07-17-2009, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by josh_raben1971
I just experienced this same symptom. One day the clicking was quiet....the next day it was LOUD.

So I brought it to the dealer on Monday....and today they tell me that the Outie requires a new shifter assembly. They have ordered it and it will be here next week. I am picking my Outie up tonight so I have a vehicle to drive until the assembly arrives.

So, this level of noise is not normal, and the shifter assemble is the culprit.
Did the shifter assembly replacement solved your issue? I am wondering if the shifter assembly after a certain time (after it initially wears out a little like after 3-6 months) starts the loud clicking.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:05 AM
Default Advice

I think it's normal and happen to any one, You can replace it and then see it work or not.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:10 PM

THe exact same thing happened to me today..I went put it in reverse, so I pressed the brake while it was in park and heard a really loud click! There is no way that click was there before.....So I kept pressing the brake and the click happened every time it was in park - and I also think it clicked when I turned the ignition off (not sure). The click is definitely coming from the shifter area.

Some of you say it's normal, and some say it is the shifter assembly and neds to be replaced....anyone know for sure? I don't want it to get worse....

Also, on kind of the same topic, do you guys find when in manual mode (V6), that it is a pretty hard shift from 1st to second? It gives a pretty good shake (even when warmed up). I am wondering if my transmission is messed up somehow, since it also clicks/ lighty clunks when shifting into reverse or drive from park...

Thanks all...

Old 07-20-2010, 09:08 PM

Clicking is normal. The relay may fail with time and get louder/stop working eventually. It's not that expensive to replace, and can be overridden with a screwdriver in the worst case.

As for shifting from 1->2 manually, it sounds like you are not at a low enough RPM range. There is a big difference in gear ratio between 1st and 2nd...combine this with the low end torque of the V6 and the result sounds about right.
What I do is get the RPMs up to 3000 in 1st, let go of the gas for a second, change gears, and re-apply the gas. Of course I barely ever drive fully in manual mode, rather, I just use it for engine braking.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:34 PM

The loud click when in park is definitely not normal.My dealer told me it was a known issue and required a new shifter assembly. They ordered one and replaced it. Problem solved. Incidentally if it was not under warranty it's at least a $600 fix.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Yachtie
The loud click when in park is definitely not normal.My dealer told me it was a known issue and required a new shifter assembly. They ordered one and replaced it. Problem solved. Incidentally if it was not under warranty it's at least a $600 fix.

Do you know if there is a TSB for that? ARe you in Canada?

Old 08-17-2010, 02:28 PM

Yes I'm in Canada.
The service guy said there was a TSB for it but i don't know the number and could not find it online.
He did phone for authorization to Mits before ordering it though.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Yachtie
Yes I'm in Canada.
The service guy said there was a TSB for it but i don't know the number and could not find it online.
He did phone for authorization to Mits before ordering it though.

Any chance you are in Calgary?

Quick Reply: loud clicking sound when pressing brake in P