Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Mk2 Outlander interior swap - help needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2021, 05:57 AM
Default Mk2 Outlander interior swap - help needed

Hi there,

New to here so apologies if this is in the wrong place or has been covered before - I did have a search through but didn't see anything.

So, basically, I bought a leather interior for my partner's Mk2 Outlander. I'd ordered a manual leather seat set from a breaker in Ireland (as her vehicle has a manual, cloth and non-airbag interior) but they sent me a very nice condition electric, heated and airbagged (front) leather seat set instead.

Some may think it was a bit of a result but I queried it at the time as to my mind there's less to go wrong sticking to manual and I was also concerned about fitment issues.

The breaker assured me there would be no issues at all as it was a simple "plug and play" affair of swapping the one for the other and given we were somewhat distracted with our newborn at the time, I left it at that, and also left getting round to fitting them for several months because of said munchkin.

So, last week as it was Mother's Day coming up I thought it'd be nice to get them put in quickly via my usual garage as a surprise for my better half - anyone who says it was also to do with her caustic comments about the time it was taking me to do the job and about the space the seats were taking up in the conservatory is just very much mistaken.

Anyway, went to my garage and they then told me it was far from a simple job and started talking about different resistances, popping airbags and frying ECUs. This obviously caused a wrinkle of concern... not least because I now realised I needed another Mother's Day present at v. short notice, and a supply of earplugs until I could resolve the problem.

So, it seems I have three options to sort this...

1) Appeal for advice on how to do the swap - has anyone gone from cloth manual interior to leather electric with airbags, is it as easy as the breaker claimed (I'd suspect not but would be delighted to be wrong) or as difficult as the garage says? If it can be done, how?

2) If it is not possible or economically viable to do - is it possible to perhaps just swap the leather covers from the electric front seats onto our manual cloth set? (The leather rears don't have power or airbag issues to contend with it looks like so are not really the problem here.) If so, does anyone have advice on how to go about swapping the seat covers?

3) Sell them on to someone looking for a power & airbag leather set before my partner makes me sleep in the conservatory with them.

I can't just send them back as been too long and tbh, if they pulled a fast one over fitment can't see them accepting fault or paying for the return delivery.

So... can anyone help with 1 or 2 above?

All the best in advance and thanks for reading,
G.

Last edited by Gwhizz; 03-16-2021 at 04:51 PM.