Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

My stereo install - question re: bluetooth

Old 06-26-2008, 01:42 AM
Default My stereo install - question re: bluetooth

Here is my question: Has anyone gotten the car's bluetooth to work after replacing the head unit - the car's wiring diagram (service manual page 305) implies that the wires 9 and 21 on C121 are the proper wires to use (they are shielded and run from bluetooth module to head unit)

I have replaced the rockford fosgate 6cd mp3 changer system in my 2007 xls with the following.
Thought I would share my experiences and ask a question about the bluetooth

Kenwood KDC-BT838U with metra install kit
this is a nice unit with:
- built in bluetooth hands free + bluetooth audio
- usb / ipod
- mp3/wma compat
- aux in
- dual zone - great to put kids music in back

Focal TN-51 tweeters
Polk DB series 6.5 speakers in the front doors + the polk crossovers
left back speakers alone
JL audio a4300 4 channel amplifier to power fronts + sub
rears powered by the kenwood head unit.

replaced sub with this one:
http://www.etronics.com/p-40137-rock...subwoofer.aspx
it is a slim mount dual voice coil 2 ohm per voice coil model.

First I put the speakers in beofre replacing the head and the amp to see if it would make the system not suck. However, I still felt it did not sound good enough with the mitsu head so I went for the kenwood.

Notes on the install:
- did not need to drill hole in firewall to run wire from battery - the door hinges have a hole in them that allowed me to snake the power cable forward through the left front body panel.
- I installed the crossovers in the car under the front passenger seat, I used the mitsu factory wiring. I put the JL amp under the driver set - lot of room there.
- This car is actually pretty easy to work with once you get in there.I was able to run an aux cable and gps power supply thru the dash no prob.
- The stock sub speaker is a dual voice coil 1.1 ohm speaker - strange impedance IMHO
- When I replaced the sub, there was a screw holding the sub in from the back. The new sub did not need this screw, so i left the hole exposed. Big mistake - that screw hole was making the sub enclosure be not sealed and I was getting distortion and noise out the back of the woofer thru the hole. Covered the hole and the sub's back with dynamat which solved that prob.
- to install the front speakers, I ripped out the cone from the stock speaker and mounted the polks into the plastic brackets- this madethe mount+speaker a bit thicker but door trim still fit on.
-Ineed toput a 80hz High pass filter on the front speakers or a get some vibration- will be dynamatting the doors to try andsolve this.

The sound quality on the kenwood is excellent. much better than the rockford fosgate "distorted bass is good" philosophy

Here is my question: Has anyone gotten the car's bluetooth to work after replacing the head unit - the car's wiring diagram (service manual page 305) implies that the wires 9 and 21 on C121 are the proper wires to use (they are shielded and run from bluetooth module to head unit) - I think the car's integrated bluetooth may be a bit nicer than the kenwoods

Old 06-27-2008, 03:55 AM
Default RE: My stereo install - question re: bluetooth

i had my audio system upgarded like you did...everything now is aftermarket
i got the pioneer avic-z2 with the bluetooth module included
i used what came with the pioneer...and i left the factory BT unconnected
i didnt bother having it integrated coz, the pioneer's is way better
im sure your kenwood's built in BT is also more superior than mitsu's...

so im just curious...why even bother?

Old 06-27-2008, 07:17 PM

what about the waranty cancel ?
Can mistu install the system i want insted, like convert to something bigger ?
my biggest problem is the plastic all over the car that rattle it is because of the kind of cheap base come from the factory sub ? or a bigger sub will be worst ?

Old 09-29-2008, 10:37 PM

I have 07xls with rockford fosgate 6cd, I am going to replace the factory head unit with a aftermarket navigation system. I went to my local audio shop and they have the faceplate to install the aftermarket head unit(navigation system),that is not the issue, the question is how I am going to install the hazzard switch(the one next to the airbags signals) back to the new faceplate, because I remove the factory faceplate and looks like the hazzard signal and the airbags signals can not be remove from the factory faceplate(the one with small harness). If you guys can help me with this I really appreciate it. Thank you...

Old 09-30-2008, 08:34 AM
Default Just FYI...

Mitsu. has a few aftermarket brand recommendations which fit nicely in the same faceplate and space provided. I mean, you don't have to buy them from Mitsu. but if you want a great fit with minimal tweaking, you can buy any of the following models somewhere else.

You can choose between Pioneer, Kenwood, Clarion, Eclipse, Panasonic and Alpine:
(most of the US sites for these manufacturers have the same unit as the ones pictured by Mitsubishi Japan. The following links are just for reference for those interested or those that don't know what to buy)

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/s.../mz608121.html

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/s.../mz608123.html

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/s.../mz608112.html

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/s.../mz608117.html

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/s.../mz608122.html

If you are looking for replacement parts for the Rockford Fosgate grill and plastic covers for the doors and other parts, here is a list of what you need:

5759A003 x1
5759A004 x1
5759A005 x1
5759A006 x1
5729A007 x1
5729A008 x1
5729A009 x1
5729A010 x1
MF453031 x14
MU480032 x14
MU670034 x4
MU670035 x2

Old 09-30-2008, 10:47 PM
Default RE: Just FYI...

Thank you for your reply, I'd just like to know how I can install the oem hazzard signal switch back in to the aftermarket faceplate, I have the XLS rockford fosgate head unit with out the navigation system(I have the 6cd changer), I going to replace the factory head unit and the faceplate with an aftermarket one. But looking at the oem(factory) faceplate from the back, it looks like the hazzard signal switch is attached to the rest of the controls left on the faceplate, I noticed some screws but if someone has done this before(installed an aftermarket headunit) I'd appreciate your help with this. Thank you....

Old 10-01-2008, 05:07 AM
Default RE: Just FYI...

You can buy a "nav" faceplate from Mitsu. it will include the hazzard signal button and the other 2 lights plus the required space to put whichever head unit you choose.
I think it's worth the investment and makes life easier for you...

ORIGINAL: 07 blk lab

Thank you for your reply, I'd just like to know how I can install the oem hazzard signal switch back in to the aftermarket faceplate, I have the XLS rockford fosgate head unit with out the navigation system(I have the 6cd changer), I going to replace the factory head unit and the faceplate with an aftermarket one. But looking at the oem(factory) faceplate from the back, it looks like the hazzard signal switch is attached to the rest of the controls left on the faceplate, I noticed some screws but if someone has done this before(installed an aftermarket headunit) I'd appreciate your help with this. Thank you....