Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Nav Head Unit Pulled - NEW UPDATE with PICS

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 07:09 PM
Default RE: Nav Head Unit Pulled - Now my real challenges begin

By the way, now that we have solved the backup camera issue, theoretically, shorting out the reverse signal wire (Red/black) pin 24on connector C-9 and then jumping rear video in from Pin 47 (sky blue wire) on Connector C-7 to the orange wire, should allow you to play a DVD on the rear entertainment system while you are driving. You could mount a switch selector to go between the rear camera and the rear display so you don't have competing inputs. I think I'll try this out next!

Still not sure how one could get a DVD in the front head unit to play while driving though.

Old 04-19-2007, 07:32 PM

ORIGINAL: rdenis

By the way, now that we have solved the backup camera issue, theoretically, shorting out the reverse signal wire (Red/black) pin 24on connector C-9 and then jumping rear video in from Pin 47 (sky blue wire) on Connector C-7 to the orange wire, should allow you to play a DVD on the rear entertainment system while you are driving. You could mount a switch selector to go between the rear camera and the rear display so you don't have competing inputs. I think I'll try this out next!

Still not sure how one could get a DVD in the front head unit to play while driving though.
... except wouldn't you have the backup overlay on the screen? I know some people wouldn't mind, although it would bother my kids [8D]

Old 04-19-2007, 07:33 PM

beat it with a hammer... works everytime

Old 04-19-2007, 08:03 PM

Good point - maybe we can figure out a way to turn it off.

Old 04-20-2007, 01:04 AM

Nope it doesn't go there - as I noted, it terminates at C-19 which is one of the white harnesses that kind of hangs off the Head Unit chassis. You're going to have to wire it either along the headliner or floor.
That answers my previous question, if the US Outlander was prewired for the backup camera. Now, if only that VR-3 has a Video out option on its small camera, then we don't need to run wires all the way from the back. Costco sell them for 89$. I don't know if someone has bought one before. Although I can see from the side of the in-dash monitor, there is a 3.5mm jack, and I would presume it's a video out, but I can't confirm it.

Old 04-20-2007, 02:15 AM

Have you found a connector with a speed sense wire?

I wish I had the schematic, cause I'd pull the unit this weekend and play with it.

On a side note, great job on locating the video input for the backup camera!

Old 04-20-2007, 02:25 AM

The speed sensor wire is terminal 13 on C-10 (red/green wire). But you can't just disconnect it because the system also uses the GPS to determine speed. You can watch a DVD at any speed by disconnecting the speed sensor wire AND unplugging the GPS antennae but then:

a) Nav system is f*cked
b) Mileage calcs, etc. are f*cked
c) Speed calcs, etc.are f*cked
However, at least you can watch a movie while driving around in circles completely lost!

Old 04-20-2007, 02:28 AM

RDENIS how do you get to that service screen? I went out and played with mine today and couldnt find it. Almost 3 months have gone by and I have yet to come across that one.

Old 04-20-2007, 02:31 AM

ORIGINAL: rcpax

Nope it doesn't go there - as I noted, it terminates at C-19 which is one of the white harnesses that kind of hangs off the Head Unit chassis. You're going to have to wire it either along the headliner or floor.
That answers my previous question, if the US Outlander was prewired for the backup camera. Now, if only that VR-3 has a Video out option on its small camera, then we don't need to run wires all the way from the back. Costco sell them for 89$. I don't know if someone has bought one before. Although I can see from the side of the in-dash monitor, there is a 3.5mm jack, and I would presume it's a video out, but I can't confirm it.
I tested the VR3 - its a piece of ****. The 3.5mm jack is actually the power cord to the monitor. The camera itself only has about an 85 to 90 degree viewing angle - imagine cupping your hands around your eyes - thats about the view angle you get. Also, once you move the camera more than a foot or two away from the monitor, the monitor flicker is very annoying.

Old 04-20-2007, 02:33 AM

ORIGINAL: antlip

RDENIS how do you get to that service screen? I went out and played with mine today and couldnt find it. Almost 3 months have gone by and I have yet to come across that one.
Hold 'Set' and 'Navi' simultaneously for 3.5 seconds.

Quick Reply: Nav Head Unit Pulled - NEW UPDATE with PICS