Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Nav Head Unit Pulled - NEW UPDATE with PICS

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 08:15 PM
Default RE: Nav Head Unit Pulled - Now my real challenges begin

ORIGINAL: rdenis

Sorry, got distracted with the mirror install but I am back on it. Here is a short update of where I am at:

The way typical rear camera systems work is they send an interrupt signal between the GPS computer and the nav unit so the display automatically switches from the "map" view to the rear display. I don't know for sure if this is the way ours is configured but as a betting man I'd say probably. So I am now trying to determine where the interrupt takes place, testing individual pins (there are about 25 to test). If the results of this testing do not yield intended results, then the next step is to take the MMCS apart - there are two openings on the printed ciruit board which mayforce the interrupt.

A lot of this is careful trial and error (so as not tofry something) based on somewhat educated guesswork - it would be synch if I actually had the schematics of the Japanese version of the MMCS (of course I'd first have to learn how to read Japanese!)

I have a few spare cameras (non backup types) I would have no troubles tearing into... and I do know some friends that speak and read Japanese if you *really* need something translated, but if you have a good educated guess just tell me which wires to try, after all it *is* still under warrenty.

There is someone here that has it working, (I forget the name) I suppose if they told us which wires they are connected to that would save us all some time and effort as well, I am not sure the effort involved in removing the unit to look, or perhaps calling the shop that did the work and asking exactly which wires they connected to. I am sure we could return the favor in the future.

I am just not willing to pay the high prices to have someone else install it, as most of it is labor, as it is hard work to pull the cable all the way from the back.I guess if I do it myself it would probably cost ~$175, and if I paid a shop it would be closer to $500

Otherwise I am willing to try and get this working, and willing to post my results if I do get it working.

I was going to do the backup sensors like I did in my truck, but I feel that the camera may be a much better solution in this vehicle. Especially if the Navi is already setup for it, although the camera will probably be ~$150 more if I do it all myself.

thanks...

Scott

Old 04-07-2007, 10:24 PM
JMC

I paid to have it done..end of story. It's much better than fooling around with wires you don't even know what to do with. It wasn't much to put in...less that the camera.

Old 04-07-2007, 11:11 PM

If this is true what you say, I am much closer to figuring this out. I'll know somtime tonight whether this works or not. By the way, how much did you pay for the install and how long did it take them - this is not a routine installation, not even close....

Old 04-08-2007, 07:02 AM
JMC

$175...it must have taken them all day. I dropped it off in the AM and picked it up after work in the PM. I really think I have such a special Outlander...it does things that seem impossible.

Old 04-08-2007, 12:09 PM

175$ seems high. Did they just rewire things or install parts?

Old 04-12-2007, 05:09 AM

Still haven't found a solution to this. I'm trying to get some techincal info out of Mits if they will share it but I'm not holding my breath.

Old 04-12-2007, 09:51 AM

JMC will you pull your unit and take some pictures and see what the installer spliced into?

Old 04-12-2007, 10:14 AM

ORIGINAL: uscwrollins

JMC will you pull your unit and take some pictures and see what the installer spliced into?
That would be a good thing to do. rdenis already showed us what's supposed to be on the back of that Navi, so it won't require rocket science to figure things out.

Old 04-12-2007, 01:29 PM

Actually, if JMC would show us any pictures of his 'special' Outie I'd be less of a skeptic.Despite him saying he will provide pictures of his various mods, he has yet to do so. So far he claims 1) he has a backup camera that integrates with the Nav system, 2)his Nav system will display DVD's while driving, and 3) he bought side step bars for $120. So show us some pics.

Ifhe doesn't want to pull hisNav unit, there is another way to know:

1) Hold down the 'Set' button and 'Nav' button simultaneously for 3.5 seconds. This will take you into the Service Information screen. Lots of cool info in here.
2) About three or four touch screen butons down is the 'Network/Line Settings' option. Touch this.
3) You will now have a list of connected equipment including the 'Rear Camera'. It will either say NA, NGor Ok.

Should be easy enough to take a picture of this screen.

Old 04-12-2007, 01:45 PM

I feel like I am so close and yet so far. What I definitively know is the reverse signal circuit joins the MMCS via terminal 24 on connector C-9. In addition the video input coming from the rear display to the MMCS is terminal 47 on connector C-7.

The only other input I need is the signal from the camera that it is active which would force the interrupt to display the rear camera.

Quick Reply: Nav Head Unit Pulled - NEW UPDATE with PICS