Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Nav Head Unit Pulled - NEW UPDATE with PICS

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 01:03 AM
Default RE: Nav Head Unit Pulled - Now my real challenges begin

Okay there is a "fudge" solution availablebut is not ideal. The auxilliary video input is located on connector C-8. It only has three terminals (31,32, 33)- of which two are used - video input (32 - blue wire)and shielded ground (33 - Black/blue). If you wire a backup cam into here, you need to hit the 'Rear Display' option each tme - it is not automatic.

However, if you have a DVD playing in the RES the MMCS will override the Aux input and display the DVD. The video input here is terminal 47 on C-7 so you could wire in a switching circuit to ensure you always get the rear camera feed when putting into reverse. Doesn't solve the issue of having to physically select the rear display mode when backing up though.

Finally, you need to keep your speed under 6 km/hr (4 mph) otherwise you get the dreaded 'black screen of death', ie. "The rear display cannot be displayed while driving" or something to that effect.

FWIW. Still waiting to hear back from Mits.

Old 04-13-2007, 01:19 AM

I was looking at the specs on the Pioneer camera, and it is a very simple 3 connection unit. Ignition power, ground and video out, so it would seem the solution is simple. Considering the shops I called all talked to aftermarket houses and no one makes an adapter for our vehicles it would seem that we could just 'plug in' this unit and it would "automagically" work. Since the video puts out ~1v p-p perhaps the Nav unit detects thaton the rear camera circuit.

I for one am willing to try, as the work around it not really a good option as I don't have the rear DVD.

I will order myself up one of those Pioneer units, and if I some time this weekend perhaps I will do some testing with some of my spare cameras. The Pioneer's specs are very standard (except for the reverse image thing)

Are you sure about the pin-outs?

And is the reverse circuit stuff already connected? so that if the camera is detected the unit should auto switch?

Thanks,

Scott

(rdenis if you want to PM/email me we can work this offline and bring a solution back to the forum, you have already laid the ground work, and you have the diagramsI am willing totear into the dash and test)

Old 04-13-2007, 01:37 AM

I think we posted almost at the same time. You will be able to wire the Pioneer Cam in through the C-8 connector - it is pretty much in the middle of the Nav Unit. FWIW, C-8 is the auxilairy input so it won't matter if you have the rear display or not. It receives its signal from the rear display from D-16 Terminal 35 which I don't have the output voltage for but I would presume is also ~1v p-p - this is not confirmed, so maybe you are on to something.

The reverse signal is already connected so it should auto switch. You can confirm this by going into the service menu and selecting the first option "Vehicle Signal".

Old 04-13-2007, 01:43 AM

Can you tell me if there are already pins or wires in the connectors? Or will I need something to connect there?

Do you also have a better picture of the connectors, and which is pin 1, and which direction they are numbered, or perhaps some reference wires. I.E. pin 1 is green to ground... I really hate to wire blind, all my other vehicles have wiring diagrams. I wish I had one here.

Thanks,

Scott

Old 04-13-2007, 01:51 AM

Yeah the wires are allthere - splice your video signal into the blue wire on terminal 32 on C-8. Ground to the chassis or terminal 33 on C-8 (Black/Blue wire). You can get power from the connector C-9 (right next to C-8) off of terminal 21 (red wire). There are only 5 terminals on C-9.

Check the input voltage on the camera - some are less than 12 volts.

Old 04-13-2007, 01:55 AM

To clarify - the Mits numbering system on its connectors is not representative of the number of terminals. For example, connector C-8 (Video auxilliary) only has three terminals of which two are utilized. But they aren't numbered teminal 1,2,3 but rather, 31, 32, 33 from right to left (from harness point of view) or left to right (from MMCS point of view). Terminal 31 is open, terminal 32 is Video and has a blue wire and terminal 33 is shielded ground which is a black wire with blue stripe.

Old 04-13-2007, 02:03 AM

Here, hope this clarifies:

Name:  P1010029.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  61.0 KB

Old 04-13-2007, 03:43 PM
JMC

I love how the new guys just say crap all the time....I'm so sorry that you can't find a shop to get this done. Why don't you ask Mommy and Daddy for some loot? I'm sure they'll help out. Why can't anybody else figure this out? Here's what I did....I took the Pioneer camera and went to my freind's audio place. He put the camera in and it works so there is no need for me to ask them how they got it to work.
Just figure this ish out and stop calling my business B.S. Again...where were you cool guys when I was here with my first Gen?

Old 04-13-2007, 04:10 PM

Hey, I just asked to see a picture of your Nav Service Menu. Next you will be telling us your Outie has a flux capacitor and can travel through time...[&:]

Old 04-13-2007, 04:20 PM
JMC

I doubt that.........you are really asking for it.

Quick Reply: Nav Head Unit Pulled - NEW UPDATE with PICS