Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

New Outlander 2009 XLS - Reviews

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 03:59 PM
Smile New Outlander 2009 XLS - Reviews

Just wanted to say hi, and make some general comments. I purchased a new Outlander XLS with the Luxury Package and the Sun & Sound package. White with Tan interior. I traded in my 2008 Honda CRV EX-L w/Navi. You might has why. Actually quite a few reasons. I spent countless hours reading reviews from auto mags, which are really subjective in the end and usually picked the Rav and CRV, even the Rogue over the Mitsu overall, but consistently commented on the sporty nature of the mitsu. However, for me personally out of all of these the Mitsu is beautiful to view on the road and parked and I am geared more towards sport than not. Outlander is easily the best looking. The CRV even after 1 1/2 years, not so much.

Here are the main items that impacted my decision.
3500 Pound Tow Rating, V-6 Power, Much sexier, Leather quality,
3rd Row option (used or not), Sound System, Rain Sensing Wiper, Xenon HID, WARRANTY - including Road Side Assistance, which Honda doesn't have.

The Honda is awesome, comfortable, rides is great, functional, but not without flaws. Excitement factor, not much. Many reviews indicated interior materials subpar in the Mitsu, but personally I don't see a difference, I find the CRV was fine, but no better then the mitsu and after 1 1/2 years my CRV leather was wrinkling and already looking aged. The mitsu feels much higher quality and the interior design much more sporting. My mpg in the my CRV average 23.6 mpg mixed driving with a/c on all the time (Florida), but engine power, it was fine from 0-40 but after that, especially loaded, felt very strained (always dropped the auto down to 3rd gear to pass). I did see mpg in the 19's when driving it hard. The engine even under powered is very nice though, loves to rev and the tranny is glass, shifts are not felt. But the Honda was not without problems - everyone always talk about their quality but a couple small issues I didn't expect. Bolt came lose in drivers door that holds the power window module thingy, rattled like crazy, and the car would squeak really loud when in park and rocking back/forth. Turned out to be a bulletin fix had to had make some changes the the exhaust off the head pipe (gaskets).

I only had one other Mitsu, 2001 Galant v6, brand new. Had it for 3 years, only problem dead battery (40,000 miles). Awesome car, great engine and tranny, traded for a 2004 Mazda Tribute (needed SUV), which was also a great car. Traded the Mazda for the Honda, still not sure why in the end since the Mazda was v6, 3500 pound towing, 74,000 trouble free miles (only brake pads/tires), etc,. So based on that experience I wandered back into the Mitsu zone. Very excited. The SUV is really stunning. Was at a Ford/Mitsu dealer, signing the papers on a Ford Flex when I spotted the mitsu - drove and changed my mind.

I bit long winded, but basically wanted to comment that auto mags are quite subjective and it comes down to personal preference and what you want out of your vehicle. I know the Outlander will give me many trouble free miles, based on my trusted/tried Galant. I miss the galant, always felt very fast (although probably not).

Thanks for reading.

Old 06-08-2009, 04:36 PM

Welcome to the forum. I own an 08 ES and like you I've read the reviews knocking the Outlanders interior, but I think the dash (and black center stack) with its simple flowing lines looks better than a lot of vehicles with the over abundance of chrome on the center stack.

The other thing I like is all the controls are within easy reach of the driver which isn't always the case with some vehicles. As far as your comment about the CR-V's quality, I've read comments on a lot of other manufacturer forums, including Honda, and believe me there are a lot of things owners complain about on them.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:47 PM

I will have to agree that Outlander (XLS) is still the most beautiful car to look at after 2 years... for it's price range! Although, if I had the money now I would've bought new Audi Q5, which are in high demand right now for obvious reasons. It's gorgeous!

Old 06-10-2009, 06:44 PM

I agree completely.. I love the look of my mitsu (Gray 08 4WD XLS fully loaded)... I think it's simply the best class in its class. The fact that I got it for below $24K last year (it's a used car) made it even sweeter.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:31 AM

Bought a 2009 XLS last month and it is $3000 to $5000 cheaper than most other comparable SUV's in its class! Great value for the money!

Old 07-16-2009, 09:45 AM
Thumbs up

best comments/review i ever read for outlander