Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Outlander reviews

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 01:22 PM
Default Outlander reviews

I was researching the 2G outlanders and came across alot of actual user reviews seems generally very positive... while journalist reviews loves to talk and bash about the cramped 3rd row, here are reviews from people who actually bought and live with one.

Kelley Blue Book

Old 06-26-2012, 12:41 AM

Yeah people will complain about anything.. My personal favourite are the "dash strokers," who value having leather and soft touch materials everywhere above handling/reliability/etc.

Ultimately you are the one that's going to have to live with a car daily, so takes other peoples opinions with a grain of salt. Reliability is the only thing I really look at, most other things are highly subjective.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:09 AM

I don't quite understand why most journalist reviews complain about interior materials, the GT interior is quite presentable. Is a Hyundai interior really better with more painted silver plastic -- does that mean it is 2010, while internet journalists complain about the Outlander GTs feels like 1996. hmmm ok.

My impression of the outlander dash is that this is simple and no BS. Sit down and grab the steering wheel and the diameter feels great..

I didn't feel Rav4 is any more refined..

I tested all these cars... I guess maybe the more it looks like a spaceship, it will score higher these days. I havn't bought a car yet so I am not biased defending my purchase.

for reference, a 1996 Lexus LX450, which is probably a luxary vehicle, looks like this

Last edited by OutlanderGT; 06-26-2012 at 01:15 AM.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:53 AM

I can see where they're coming from on a few things. The 2010+ models addressed my biggest complaint (the hard door top - I rest my arm up there and it's very uncomfortable in our 08 Outlander). The wheel in our 08 is also on the skinny side, the '10+ is again, a much better piece IMO.

My car is a 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland, and you can tell a huge difference (which is fair - its MSRP was almost double). It's got a leather dash, door tops, Nappa leather, and such, but the reality is, the Outlander (in 2010+ form especially) is nearly as comfortable in most places, despite not being slathered in leather everywhere.

I have noticed that the Outlander's glovebox scratches pretty easily.

Overall, despite not having all the foam backed vinyl that a lot of other cars have, I'd say the Outlander has one of the better interiors for an inexpensive SUV. It's well laid out, works, and is durable. Not it's not as nice as a Range Rover, but it shouldn't be either.

Another thing to keep in mind, review sites are industry and ad funded. Companies that don't line their pockets as much (like Mitsu) don't get the preferential treatment.

Last edited by FAUEE; 07-01-2012 at 12:56 AM.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by FAUEE
I can see where they're coming from on a few things. The 2010+ models addressed my biggest complaint (the hard door top - I rest my arm up there and it's very uncomfortable in our 08 Outlander). The wheel in our 08 is also on the skinny side, the '10+ is again, a much better piece IMO.

My car is a 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland, and you can tell a huge difference (which is fair - its MSRP was almost double). It's got a leather dash, door tops, Nappa leather, and such, but the reality is, the Outlander (in 2010+ form especially) is nearly as comfortable in most places, despite not being slathered in leather everywhere.

I have noticed that the Outlander's glovebox scratches pretty easily.

Overall, despite not having all the foam backed vinyl that a lot of other cars have, I'd say the Outlander has one of the better interiors for an inexpensive SUV. It's well laid out, works, and is durable. Not it's not as nice as a Range Rover, but it shouldn't be either.
To be fair, the small upgrade of the outlander did come at a cost, from inflation of $500 MSRP every year is typical for cars these days. When they added HIDs and S-AWC system the MSRP went up about $3000 now in 2012.
3rd, the incentive is not as good as it was. I have read people bought the 07 or 08 XLS with everything for $22-$24k, now for a loaded GT with navigation looking at $30k+.

I did test a 12' outlander and didn't notice much noises and the GT door with the softer material does have that more luxary thump sound that many crave. I saw a study sounds like that can be engineered though.
Of course, this isn't a Lexus and shouldn't be compared to.
Mazda recently also stepped up and tried to make their interior more upscale looking.