Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

New Owner - Initial Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 02:10 AM
Default New Owner - Initial Impressions

My wife and I just bought an 2007 Outlander XLS with the HDD Navigation/Entertainment package. We had been looking for a new family car for about 5 months, and had narrowed the search down to the Mazda 5, Kia Rondo,or Subaru Outback. We had also checked out some of the higher end vehicles (Audi& Volvo). None of the cars we looked at met all our needs (either in features, power, or price), and we were attempting to decide which vehicle to "settle" for when we happened upon the Mitsubishi Outlander. This car had everything we wanted (power, safety, seating, features, etc.) at the price we wanted to pay. We went down for a "test drive only" on Saturday, and ended up purchasing it on the spot. We've only had it for a few days, but so far, we're both in love with it! Apart from a few minor quibbles, neither of us can find anything to complain about! We're both absolutely blown away by this vehicle!

Old 03-06-2007, 02:41 AM
Default RE: New Owner - Initial Impressions

Good choice. Congrats on your new ride. I bet most of the other members would agree you made the right choice.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:33 AM

[sm=boosign.gif]who buys outlanders? Just kidding, I looked at all the cas you did too, test drove the base model outlander, stopped looking athonda and toyota. Then Icame back when they had the xls in stock.

Old 03-07-2007, 02:14 AM

Funny thing... before I got my Outlander, all I wnated was a Subaru Impreza or a Nissan X-Terra.

But then I went to check out a Mitsu dealership for a 2006 new (unsold) Outlander when I learned about the 2007 and fell in love with it.

But before I bought an Outlander, I called every Mitsu dealer in a 60 mile radius and tried to get the best price before I did anything. This was a 45-day nightmare in my quest to try and get the best price for my trade (a VERY minty 2005 Mazda Rx-8, which I loved and only traded because I am moving to CO) and the best price for their vehicle.

During the grueling 45 days, I got so mad at the Mitsu dealers for not cutting me the best deal everthat I test drove:

1. Honda CR-V. It was a joke. The 2007 model looks like a coachroack on the outside, cool on the inside. The price tag was OUTRAGEOUS, they would not discount the car $1 (I kid you not, I asked the manager for a $1 car discount and he said 'no'). So I ruled this one out.

2. Pontiac Torrent. This one is quite nice! But I didn't want to just buy the car, I wanted to see the rest so I kept test driving...

3. Mazda Tribute. This is a clone of the Ford Escape (Mazda is largely owned by Ford). I say get the Escape and work out a better deal on it.

4. The Toyota RAV4. This one sucked, the interior of the car is a joke!! It is old, outdated... just like the Corolla. Pathetic and VERY expensive. Oh and the warranty on it sucks!!

5. The Nissan X-Terra. Nissan had a TON of them new 2006 in stock unsold by 2007. If they had worked out a real deal with me, I would have bought it, because I liekd it, even thought it was too big and not as cool-looking as the Outlander.

My 45-car-hunt finally paid off when I got a call from a Mitsu dealer after I had gotten mad at the sales manager. This other manager calledme and worked a deal out, just like that.$3,900 off my Outlander and got exactly the KBB value for my RX-8 (no other dealers wanted to give me the KBB trade-in value, they were low-balling me on the trade)!! I ended up getting more crap than I wanted (sun+sound package and DVD package), but hey, I pretty much got all that stuff for free!

I am EXTREMELY HAPPY with my Outlander. My wife keeps stealing it (grrrr), but it's ok, it's a great car.

Old 03-08-2007, 03:14 AM

ORIGINAL: Christian1

...get the best price for my trade (a VERY minty 2005 Mazda Rx-8, which I loved and only traded because I am moving to CO) and the best price for their vehicle... ]
wow... I'm in the market for trading my '05 RX-8 as well I am totally in love with my car, however its just not practical for a person who has dogs that love to go for car rides (their nails tend to ruin my leather seats) or bikes to take out on trails or to help friends move or haul stuff.
I have been looking at various crossovers/SUVs that aren't so 'cheap' looking interior-wise and are sporty, but its extremely hard to find something that even compares to the RX-8... I saw the Outlander on a t.v. commercial today and was a bit impressed with its looks. My concern now is more along the lines of the reputation of Mitsu service and how reliable their vehicles are...