Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Oil Changing

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by Ricbec
as said earlier - stick with what people are saying on here

there is such a thing as changing your oil TOO often - and you have to weigh up the following

just how much more money are you spending on extra oil changes....and how much more life is it in reality going to give you?

you gotta weigh up the pro's and cons.....most engines will give you over 200,000km just by doing the manufacturers recommended servicing - if you change your oil twice as often - it isnt going to magically give you 400,000km before being due for rebuild
Rreally? I had thought I would get 2 million.

Does it irk you that I feel the need to excessively care for my vehicle more than you do? I don't really care what the forum members say about going 7500 miles, I am changing my oil every 3000 miles, it will be pocket change to me in the long run, and that's that. Every engine builder I have ever talked to has told me to change synthetic every 2000-3000 miles in a vehicle that is driven hard, and I can assure you that I am no grandma. Your driving style may permit you to listen to those forum members and change it at 7500 miles, but that's you, and not me. Sorry.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:38 AM

fine - if thats what floats your boat - you go for it - i can assure you i wont complain

but please remember that when you post your opinion/belief on a public forum, you have to be prepared to receive differing points of view - thats not to say you are being bagged out for decision/choice on a given matter, you are just being given a different perspective on the same given matter

i wasnt out to pick on your choice

peace dude!

P.S. In Australia the scheduled serviceing for my Outlander is every 15,000km or 12 months - I do mine every 7,500km regardless of the amount of km i drive - and I average 22,000km a year - ive always felt 15,000km between service is too long myself

Last edited by Ricbec; 01-17-2011 at 02:48 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:14 AM

Changing your oil every 3k is going to do no harm and if you are not worried about the cost, then go for it. I was just suggesting that it is unnecessary. The US oil industry seems to have convinced everyone that 3k oil changes are required. In Europe, oil changes are generally done annually, or every 10-12k. Many modern European cars now have extended intervals up to 20k. There is loads of debate about this which you can find on the internet.
As you say, it is only cheap to do oil changes in USA. In UK, 4 litres of Mobil 1 will cost you almost $70.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:02 PM

I just paid US $27, for 5 quarts of Penzoil Platinum, and a Fram oil filter included. It is one of the highest priced oils here. The UK seems like a nasty place at times.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:14 PM

I just bought one of these http://fumoto.com.au/info.htm#nseries

I had one in my last outlander and they make life so much easier when changing oil.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:50 PM

i use regular conventional oils, usually change my oil around 3K miles. like someone said i dont drive like a gradma. but i do want to know with things getting expensive these days can i switch to a synthetic oil and stretch it to 5K miles if not more?

Old 01-17-2011, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by oldsalt
I just bought one of these http://fumoto.com.au/info.htm#nseries

I had one in my last outlander and they make life so much easier when changing oil.
I had always thought about the idea of a valve. It's nice to see someone making them. I am ordering one. Thanks

Old 01-17-2011, 09:32 PM

cheech, I've been doing 5k intervals since we bought it at 30k miles on synthetic. oil analysis said I had lots of additive left and 7k mile change should be doable. my last change I did 7.5k miles and sent another sample it to be looked at...we'll see the results in a few weeks.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:17 AM

The Fumoto Qwik Valve is great. I have one on mine. However, if you order it, you also need the extension adaptor due to the shape of the sump (well, I needed one on my 2006 Outlander LS).

Old 01-18-2011, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by ccernst
cheech, I've been doing 5k intervals since we bought it at 30k miles on synthetic. oil analysis said I had lots of additive left and 7k mile change should be doable. my last change I did 7.5k miles and sent another sample it to be looked at...we'll see the results in a few weeks.
thank you for the reply and look forward to the results.

Quick Reply: Oil Changing