Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Oil filters

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 08:14 AM
Default RE: Oil filters

I' have used the Mobil filters for about 4 years now, first in my Lancer, RA, and now outi. I buy that instead of the stock, because I'm too laze to drive to the dealer, plus I know it works, probably the same or better than stock.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:20 AM

ORIGINAL: bnilguy

I can pretty much guarantee that Mitsubishi doesn't make their filters

Honda filters are made by (eek) Fram.
Honda filters are made by Honeywell to Honda specs, they are not off the shelf Frams.

Mitsubishi filters are made by Denso.

Old 07-26-2007, 11:00 AM

Fram is a Honeywell company.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:10 PM

Yes, but again, they aren't orange filters painted blue, which was my point. I've been working with Hondas for 14 years and have yet to see an engine fail that wasnt the result of accident, overheating, or timing belt breakage.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:35 PM

Hey Tim,
Maybe you'll know. Whats the original brand of oil that the Misubishis ship with? Just Curious

Old 07-26-2007, 02:37 PM

I agree. that even if you use a Fram, your engine won't implode. My point was that car makers don't make filters, so there's nothing 'magical' about an OEM. You just need to get the correct sized and speced filter

Old 07-26-2007, 02:49 PM

ORIGINAL: BoldlyGoingNowhere

Hey Tim,
Maybe you'll know. Whats the original brand of oil that the Misubishis ship with? Just Curious
Unlike some manufacturers (Daewoo, for example), the filters that come on the car are black Denso, just like the ones on our shelves here. Next time we've got one on the lift I'll snap some pics.

Old 07-26-2007, 03:00 PM

ORIGINAL: bnilguy

I agree. that even if you use a Fram, your engine won't implode. My point was that car makers don't make filters, so there's nothing 'magical' about an OEM. You just need to get the correct sized and speced filter
Here's an old article I came across about "off the shelf" Fram filters: http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/jag/vw...ilfilters.html
I think OEM are still better than off the shelf, simply for the reason that OEM ones are up to the manufacturer's standards.

Old 07-26-2007, 03:20 PM

ORIGINAL: MitsuTim

ORIGINAL: BoldlyGoingNowhere

Hey Tim,
Unlike some manufacturers (Daewoo, for example), the filters that come on the car are black Denso, just like the ones on our shelves here. Next time we've got one on the lift I'll snap some pics.
brand of OIL, lol But thanks for offering to take a pic...really.

Old 07-26-2007, 03:35 PM

Its just an oil filter. I have done oil changes on every car I owned and the parents cars. I used from fram filters to k/&n filters. The oil is alwasy dirty after the next 3000 miles. The cars never blown up. I doubt a oil filter company is going to produce a filter that will casue your motor to blow. That would mean that every car that filter fits would blow up.

Quick Reply: Oil filters