Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

outlander 2.0 turbo diesel engine ---loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 03:37 PM
Default Limp mode again.

Originally Posted by Martinuk007
A little while ago it was suggested to replace the rubber ring on the inlet pipe just before the EGR valve. This has worked for a while however just the other day the pipe blew itself off, several times I might add. This time I replaced the whole pipe which cost nearly £80. Why did I do this , well I have been talking to a Jaguar mechanic and they had a loss of power on one of their cars , it turns out that the intercooler pipes had lost their strength and at extreme heat and pressure the pipes were folding in on themselves. So I took the gamble and bought a new hose, so far the car is working as it should and just this weekend I did a 200 Mile round trip with no hassles . Let's hope this has cured the problem. Could it be that the hoses on the car have over time lost their strength and rigidity .
Okay here we go again. I have driven the car for just over a 1000 miles with no problem . Hard acceleration when needed, and tonight took the Grandis up to 60mph plus and yes it went into limp mode. Thought I had it sussed , but to no avail. Get my head scratching again . Just what could it be.

Old 02-29-2016, 03:45 PM

For £25 and a half hours work I would change the MAP sensor but only if it's an over boost fault code that you are getting.

Old 03-01-2016, 01:35 AM
Default Loss of power

Originally Posted by Saabdoctor
For £25 and a half hours work I would change the MAP sensor but only if it's an over boost fault code that you are getting.
Might be a good idea anyway . What I find annoying is that when I replaced the pipe the car drove well and lasted for over 3 months with no problem . If it is electrical fault surely it would manifest itself earlier, however it must be related to extreme pressure under hard acceleration. Could it be another hose playing up. Surely someone knows exactly the fault. The car is. 2007 and maybe something is just wearing out.

Old 03-01-2016, 02:52 AM

Okay here we go again. I have driven the car for just over a 1000 miles with no problem . Hard acceleration when needed, and tonight took the Grandis up to 60mph plus and yes it went into limp mode. Thought I had it sussed , but to no avail. Get my head scratching again . Just what could it be.
It is the variable turbo vanes... In 98,9% of the cases...
I got rid of my Grandis because in Finland the turbo replacement would have set me back 1500-2000€. I sold it to a guy with mutual agreement of knowing there is a turbo problem. I deducted the 2000€ from the sales price and got rid of the problem.

Old 03-01-2016, 03:41 AM

Have you checked the turbo. It is this almost all the time. Its a bad design where the variable vanes carbon up. Remove it clean it and refit it. There is no short cut. Sometimes its the boost sensor, sometimes its both. People sell these cars on after getting a whapping 1500gbp repair quote and thats why there's so many going around with this fault. I sorted mine for free by cleaning and replacing it. My brother in law had exactly the same fault with his Grandis and they part exd it in after only owning it 6months and so it becomes someone else's problem and the cycle starts again....

Old 03-28-2016, 02:41 PM
Default Hi guys this is my first post..

I have a Mitsubishi Outlander 2007 I have had for nearly 2 years and have been having the same over post problem, has any one found a permanent fix because I can't bare it anymore, I'm hopefully gonna get it booked in to Mitsubishi tomorrow as the engine light has now come on again but it Is not in limp mode.

Old 03-28-2016, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Outlander666
I've not had any more problems yet after the initial one 2 days ago, if it does start again i'll lokk into that, thanks.
Did it fix the problem?

Old 03-29-2016, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by Blackbird1386
I have a Mitsubishi Outlander 2007 I have had for nearly 2 years and have been having the same over post problem, has any one found a permanent fix because I can't bare it anymore, I'm hopefully gonna get it booked in to Mitsubishi tomorrow as the engine light has now come on again but it Is not in limp mode.
I have listed already the permanent fix. Mine never went wrong again. Make sure its overboost 1St which will always put it in limp before you switch off and on again and it will be the variable geometry turbo. Mitsi will only replace with new including manifold and charge you 2500gbp, after a 100gbp initial diagnostic fee. If it is this fault don't waste your money

Old 03-29-2016, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by lazarus79
I have listed already the permanent fix. Mine never went wrong again. Make sure its overboost 1St which will always put it in limp before you switch off and on again and it will be the variable geometry turbo. Mitsi will only replace with new including manifold and charge you 2500gbp, after a 100gbp initial diagnostic fee. If it is this fault don't waste your money
So I need to replace

variable geometry turbo

But best not to take it to Mitsubishi will independent garages replace this and how much did it cost you?

Old 05-12-2016, 04:30 AM
Post 2008 Outlander 2.0 did drastic power loss

Had a drastic power loss with my 2008 outlander 2.0did 122k miles. Happened twice over two weeks, both times the rubber pipe from the turbo to the inlet manifiold had come off (once either end, the one down by the rad offside). Symptoms were; unable to rev over 1800rpm withouut car juddering, driving under 1500rpm enables you to get to 60ish but very slowly. Had a subsequent fault diag done (engine management light never on), this showed 3 codes (673h/1651 672h/1650 671h/1649) all undocumented by garages reader but they seem to imply overboost. My conclusions (amateur).
1. The clips had worked loose over time (garage said this) - job done.
2. The pipe has become weak over time (that will be the next fix if it recurs).
3. Check MAP sensor for signs of damage.
4. Get turbo cleaned as it could be vane sticking issue, could be causing the fault if overboosting.
Hope this helps others and draws on the sterling work of those in earlier posts.
Thank all.

Quick Reply: outlander 2.0 turbo diesel engine ---loss of power