Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

outlander 2.0 turbo diesel engine ---loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 02:55 AM

Change the boost sensor 1St... It is quite normal for these to be faulty at the same time as the turvo which you have already replaced

Originally Posted by Cashman
Gents (and ladies if there are any here).

I have a loss off power that comes only when driving above 80km/h on 6th gear and full throttle. I've read this strip thorough and good. It seems that there can be quite many different faults, but I am leaning towards either a ECU problem or my turbo vanes being stuck. Although I don't know if my Grandis 2,0L DID from 2007 has a turbo with variable vanes.
The ECU fault I'm thinking of because I get a reading of 1 BAR pressure in the intake even if the engine isn't running. Also at the point of overboost the reading is almost 2 BAR.
I have changed the MAP sensor twice and the incoming voltage is 5 as it should. Also I've tested a new air mass sensor, checked all hoses and fuel lines (filters, fuel cooler, intercooler... you name it i checked it) but the problem still occurs every time at 6th gear and foot down.

Any ideas..?
Maybe I should drive the Mitsubishi on the ice and wait for spring...

Old 01-25-2016, 03:24 AM

Where is the boost sensor? Isn't it the MAP sensor (Manifold absolute pressure)?
I´ve changed the MAP sensor twice.

Please advise.

PS. I'm leaning towards driving it on the ice and waiting for spring to solve the problem...

Last edited by Cashman; 01-25-2016 at 03:27 AM.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:56 AM
Default Loss of power on DID Grandis

A little while ago it was suggested to replace the rubber ring on the inlet pipe just before the EGR valve. This has worked for a while however just the other day the pipe blew itself off, several times I might add. This time I replaced the whole pipe which cost nearly £80. Why did I do this , well I have been talking to a Jaguar mechanic and they had a loss of power on one of their cars , it turns out that the intercooler pipes had lost their strength and at extreme heat and pressure the pipes were folding in on themselves. So I took the gamble and bought a new hose, so far the car is working as it should and just this weekend I did a 200 Mile round trip with no hassles . Let's hope this has cured the problem. Could it be that the hoses on the car have over time lost their strength and rigidity .

Old 01-25-2016, 12:52 PM
Default Glow Plug sensor fault

Ive had an engine sensor going off on me for quite awhile now. First posted to this thread 2 years ago. Got new turbo and new turbo sensor fitted. Still happening. Fault was then showing up as glow plugs, had them replaced (which was needed - only one glow plug working). However, apparently there is a sensor attached to the glow plugs that is still spotting a glow plug fault. Its the sensor thats the problem - just waiting on a second hand part. Should then be hunky dorey

Old 01-25-2016, 05:34 PM

Ok, finally found the boost sensor/ map sensor in front of the left front wheel at the bottom of the engine bay attached to one of the intercooler pipes. It had been knocked at some point and was cracked in half where the plug comes out from the main body, but still attached just. A couple of waggles and it came right off, the wires inside were green with corrosion and it's clear it's been letting water in for ages. I hope this is my over boost fault problem, I will get a new one tomorrow and see.
The 3 earths were awful near the battery tray, full of corrosion, stripped them all down and emery'd them clean and refitted with new bolts and plenty of copper grease.

Old 01-27-2016, 05:52 PM

Does the new map sensor need to be coded in on the outlander2 or is it just plug and play?

Old 01-28-2016, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by lazarus79
Change the boost sensor 1St... It is quite normal for these to be faulty at the same time as the turvo which you have already replaced
Well I never changed the turbo. I changed the MAP sensor twice. Is there another sensor for boost than the MAP sensor?

It is disturbing that the pressure level is at 1 BAR even if the car isn't running...

Old 01-28-2016, 03:10 AM

Is it reading atmospheric pressure perhaps?
Air pressure at sea level 1013millibar = 1.013 Bar.

Last edited by Saabdoctor; 01-28-2016 at 06:19 AM.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:41 PM
Default Answer to your problems!

Hello all. Ok. I strongly believe I have the answer for you with regards to your limp mode issue.

I own a 2008 outlander warrior with 145,000 miles on the clock. It has the Vag derived 2.0tdi engine.

After looking on websites for years since I have owned the car purchased in 2010, the car has intermittently been going into limp mode with no warning lights coming on or any notice and it was always when the car was under load. Driving up a steep hill or overtaking.

On numerous occasions we would suffer from power loss and have to turn off and back on again and instant full power re gained.

It was at a stage where I knew and could make the car go into limp mode simply by pushing hard on the accelerator up a steep hill and making the turbo kick in.

I noticed there was a warm oily smell around the front of the car but no obvious signs under the bonnet or under the car so decided to Jack the car up and remove the front bumper and under tray and instantly spotted a damp wet area on the off side front turbo intake pipe located at the bottom hand side which directly connects to the turbo inter cooler.

Although everything appeared tight there must have been an issue as the other side was bone dry.

I removed the pipe and jubili clips and cleaned it all up. Reattached the pipe with brand new heavy duty jubili clips and even doubled up on them so 2 each end and I am pleased to say this has worked! Nearly a year and half now has passed and completed over 14,000miles as we drive to Europe a lot for holidays and I promise you, not once has it gone back into limp mode.

I wanted to post this as I know how frustrating it is trying to solve a problem not even a garage can fix.

I suggest you examine if u have any signs of oil behind the bumper as this I believe would lead to a turbo pressure loss thus causing the turbo to go into safe mode.

Just my theory. Hope it helps someone out there. Sorry only posted now but spotted this forum in my favourites from a long time ago and decided to take a look and was surprised to see its still puzzling people.

Please give this a try. You may be able to shine a torch through the front bumper grill to see for any signs of oil.

Good luck.

Old 02-10-2016, 04:05 PM

A new map sensor cured it for me. Wished I had changed it before I did the turbo for no reason!

Quick Reply: outlander 2.0 turbo diesel engine ---loss of power